The Dawn of Twilight - Debbie Bennett

I’ve just finished reading Twilight and its sequels New Moon and Eclipse. For the first time. If you haven’t heard of Twilight, you’re probably that person who got left behind on Mars when the tour bus left.

You’d have to have been on another planet to miss the uprising of the vampires in fiction, television, film and just about every other media outlet. Vampires aren’t new – Bram Stoker created Dracula (it’s free on kindle) and even then it’s alleged that his vampire was based on Eastern European mythology – don’t shoot me: I’ve done no research for this blog post. But Dracula was dark, the spin-off films were dark (think all the old Christopher Lee films and the more modern Van Helsing) and this breed of vampire is a dangerous beast. Then came Stephen King with Salems Lot (James Mason has the sexiest voice in the film version), Anne Rice and her Interview With The Vampire (the film version lost credibility for me - Tom Cruise? Really?) and the occasional other vampire film or novel, but nothing to really consider give up the vegetables for.

Along comes Stephenie Meyer and suddenly vampires are pink and fluffy. They sparkle in sunlight (bit of a giveaway, that – evolution has not been kind, has it?), they are drop-dead gorgeous and they no longer need to feed on humans. I have to admit I don’t get Edward Cullen. I mean he’s cold to the touch, doesn’t sleep and he’s dead, for heaven’s sake (or is heaven not appropriate here?). He may be every girl’s dream date, but would you really want to spend the rest of your life with a cold dead body? I guess I’m probably at least 30 years too old for the market at which this is aimed. But poor old Bella – she doesn’t have many options, does she? Cold dead vampire, hot smelly werewolf or the ultra-boring Mike-who-works-in-the-store. Is this not encouraging teenagers to go for the bad boy over the safe option? The modern equivalent of going out with the biker? Parents of teenagers – do you know who your daughter is dating tonight?

Personally, I’d go for the werewolf. Jacob sounds much sexier to me and you’d never need a hot-water bottle at night. And it’s a bit less of a commitment too – Bella has to become a vampire herself to spend eternity with Edward, so there’s no changing her mind later when she fancies a good curry instead of wild-animal blood. Whereas with Jake, she could share a rabbit or two, save on the fuel bills and then change her mind a few years later and go have babies with Mike-who-works-at-the-store.

At the younger end of the scale, there’s Young Dracula, and younger still is the cartoon Mona the Vampire, both depicting vampires as funny, cute and not at all dangerous. The main character in Young Dracula is not remotely interested in being vampiric, while his best (human) friend is desperate to be a part of it all. And the delightful Mona uses her talents to help other people – a vampire for Brownies.

The adult equivalent of Twilight must be Being Human. Vampires and werewolves living together, with a ghost thrown in for good measure. Vampire Mitchell is utterly gorgeous and even werewolf George is cute in his own way. But the flipside is while they are all striving to “be human” to the outside world, they can’t deny their true natures – this really is the struggle between good and evil played out against a 21st century background. Powerful stuff.

Long live the vampire doesn’t sound right really. Especially since the zombies are coming anyway.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I liked Marcus Sedgwicks vampires ... they really gave me goosebuumps ...
Dunno about a werewolf, but a werewippitt would be quite acceptable company I reckon: a little more civilised, but still able to put a rabbit in the pot for dinner and a great cuddler ...

Karen :-)
Katherine said…
Great post, Debbie! I have just got Eclipse, though not read Twilight yet... will I understand it without reading the first book?

For me, vampires are scary not sexy. I loved Anne Rice's "Interview with a Vampire". And the original Dracula, of course.

I must admit the YA vampire fashion has rather passed me by, though there is a vampire story in my Death Singer collection (written before the current bandwagon came along). Clearly this is where I have been going wrong - sparkly vampires might appeal to my unicorn fans!
Susan Price said…
I'm with you, Debbie - the hot, smelly werewolf every time! Loyal, furry, likes long walks, scares off burgulars - damn, I can never spell that word - fetches newspapers... What's not to like?
Susan Price said…
I;m with you Debbie - hot, hairy smelly werewolves every time! Loyal, like long walks, fetch newspapers, scare off burgalars - damn, I can never spell that word! What's not to like?
Debbie Bennett said…
I think it's that hair that did it for me, Susan. I've always had a thing for blokes with long hair. (Note, I said hair, not fur ...)
Enid Richemont said…
Fascinating post, Debbie. And Susan - I LOVE your spelling of burglar... I have a fantasy of collecting all my typos and turning them into a mad poem.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Never Mind the Author Workshops, What Shall I Wear on World Book Day 2024? wonders Griselda Heppel

How to Live with the End in Mind: Wendy Mitchell’s Choice -- by Julia Jones

Brain on a Train -- Umberto Tosi

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris