In Praise of Happy Valley -- Joy Kluver

 I love Happy Valley. I really, really love it. Sally Wainwright is the most amazing screenwriter. She knows her characters inside out. She knows exactly what Sgt. Catherine Cawood would say or do in a situation and Sarah Lancashire knows exactly how to deliver it. After only the first episode, everyone's calling for another Bafta for Sarah Lancashire, and rightly so.

Then, I watched the first episode of Silent Witness (I haven't seen the second one yet). I couldn't believe the contrast between the two. The plot's a bit convoluted and 'out there' but that wasn't the main problem for me. It was the dialogue. It just didn't work. It was stilted and didn't flow. (And they still don't cover their heads in crime scenes grr.) It's series twenty-six for Silent Witness now and unsurprisingly, there are no consistent writers. So no one knows Nikki Alexander inside out. Watching as an audience member, I wanted to shout when Nikki (as a visiting lecturer) goes to the bar with some of her students. 'Haven't you learnt from last time when you had an affair with one of your students? Don't fraternize with them!' But of course, it's all part of the plot. The fact that it doesn't sit right with the character is irrelevant.

As writers, we have to know our characters inside out. What they would do or say in any given situation. Writing a series makes that easier, I think. After three books, I know DI Bernie Noel extremely well now. Maybe that's why I've struggled so much with writing a standalone. I don't know my characters that well. It's only now that I've finished it and am editing, that I'm beginning to understand my characters more. I need to cut a lot of words still but I keep thinking of more ways to develop the characters. Plots can be changed, threads removed. But the characters have to be right. They have to be believable and relatable to the reader. If I can hear their voices clearly in my head, maybe the editing will be easier as I fully grasp what they would say or do, or not do. Or in other words, listen to the characters, Joy, and just get on with it!

Comments

Peter Leyland said…
Yes Joy, Happy Valley is an established watch here at home. I'm afraid I have given up on Silent Witness which was good for a time, especially with the character played by Liz Carr. Don't fraternise with your students, is good advice. I had one class for so long that this became difficult and I had to find the delicate balance between participatory learning and being in charge.

Interesting to see how this relates to your ideas about characterisation. Real life can teach us some lessons especially in the realms of autofiction.

Thanks for the post.
Carol-ann said…
Hello Joy,
I was saying the exact same thing to my husband. Happy Valley is phenomenal and in contrast Silent Witness is poor, in my opinion, to its previous episodes. The character Velvy seemed to be asking questions just to explain the post mortem process or forensics. And I'm sure I spotted a deus ex machina at one point.

Great post, thanks.
Joy Kluver said…
I've only just seen both your comments! My post tomorrow is a review of the Happy Valley finale.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

Got Some Book Tokens? -- by Susan Price