March Update! by Joy Kluver

 Well, I say March update - really it's all about February as March has only just started. 

My beta reader gave me a thumbs up for DI Bernie Noel 4 which was a huge relief. The last thing I had to do before sending it to my editor was a final read through. I did this using the Read function on Word. A fairly nice voice read out my MS to me and it was so helpful. I 'heard' the mistakes which were often small and I probably would have missed them if I'd just been reading normally. My plan was take my time with this over half-term but a couple of members of my family had other ideas. 

I'm not very good with spontaneity but my husband and youngest made last minute plans to visit the Netherlands and Belgium and expected me to go to! I was still determined to finish the final read through and managed to do it just in time. It was a huge relief to send my MS off and now I'm waiting for the verdict! We had a good time away and my youngest can add the Netherlands and Belgium to his list of countries visited.

I decided to join the choir. It's lots of fun and slowly but surely, my singing voice is coming back.

Hopefully I'll have more book news for you in April. In the meantime, here are a few pictures from our quick trip away - Amsterdam, Antwerp and Bruges,




Comments

Griselda Heppel said…
Lovely pictures! And what a good idea to have your MS read to you for a final reading so you can hear the mistakes in a way you mightn't spot them in print. Even more important is the realisation that gives you about how the writing flows, the sound it will make in the reader's head. I've met several authors who read their entire MS out loud to themselves, so they can experience directly any clunkiness and deal with it. I now do this too but maybe having Word do it instead will be even better.

Congratulations on getting the book off to your editor, a great feeling.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath