The Printing World is Full of Clichés,,, But Not in the Way You Might Think, says Griselda Heppel

Doors closed on originality?
Photo by burcubyzt_85: https://www.pexels.com/
photo/vintage-wooden-door-with-distinctive-
handles-36306962/
I learnt something new on X the other day. (And no, it wasn’t the latest cancellations, though there’s plenty of that going on). 

I can’t remember how it came up, but both Lissa Evans (a writer I greatly admire) and I were intrigued to discover the origin of the term cliché. I am rather ashamed that I never bothered to look it up before. I’d always assumed it had something to do with the French for a door closing: a boring, hackneyed phrase shutting off originality. Goodness knows where I got that notion from because it’s definitely barking up the wrong tree (an idiom, by the way, not a cliché; a nice distinction I found going down rabbit holes online… oops, there goes another). 

How to describe a beautiful sunset and bring it freshly to life.
Instead, the verb clicher means ‘to click’. Its use as a noun goes back as far as 1825 and originates from the French printing trade, where it denoted the clicking sound made when a block of print was impressed into a bath of molten type-metal to form a matrix, so that the same phrase – or even whole pages, in the case of book printing – could be printed over and over again. 

Hence a phrase that cropped up a lot became known as a cliché, from which it’s easy to see how it became a metaphor for a tired, overused collection of words. For writers this is a permanent challenge: how to describe a beautiful sunset or a raging lion or a cavalry charge or a broken heart in ways that bring the image freshly to life, when these things have been depicted millions of times before. 

A log fire burning merrily in the grate. 
Photo by Tom Fisk: https://www.pexels.com/photo/ close-up-photo-of-a-fireplace-11751757/
And why is it that when I want to think of examples of clichés my mind goes blank, only for them to pour out of my pen (or from my keyboard) the moment I get down to writing? The temptation to start a story on the first day of the summer holidays, to have my hero set off on a mysterious journey through a land in which the grass is always lush, the rivers sparkle, the birds sing sweetly in the trees, and shelter for the night is offered by a twinkly-eyed, kindly old lady who welcomes him/her into her cottage where a log fire is burning merrily on the grate… somehow I have to get all these lazy, easily reached for descriptions out of my system before any real writing can begin. 

Though I could try to do what cleverer writers than I have done: use clichés against themselves. I love how Katherine Rundell, for instance, turns perhaps the most famous literary cliché on its head by beginning her children’s novel, The Wolf Wilder, thus: 

The Wolf Wilder by
Katherine Rundell
Once upon a time there was a dark and stormy girl
. 

Then there’s Solar by Ian McEwan, in which the author throws every clichéd urban myth in the book at his deeply unattractive academic hero, Michael Beard, from the fight over a crisp packet with a stranger in a railway carriage to the lecturer visiting the lavatory half way through his lecture and forgetting to turn off his microphone. That a great writer should centre these tired old shaggy dog stories on his main character flummoxed me at first. I mean, did McEwan think his readers wouldn’t recognise them? 

Until I realised that was the point. For jaded, washed up, intellectually and morally bankrupt Beard, not even his own ‘lived experiences’ are original. A clever idea, but not a lot of fun for the reader, having to wade through so much secondhand stuff.
Solar by Ian McEwan


Safer, I reckon, to take the advice of the fabled creative writing teacher, and 'avoid clichés like the plague'.

If that isn't a cliché in itself... 

Enough!



Comments

Peter Leyland said…
I too saw that Lissa Evans explanation of the word cliche on X Griselda. Although the site has now been widely criticised because of its takeover by Musk, it can still hold my interest.

I put my blog out on X this month as there are some literary people there who might be interested. I think I've avoided clichés but you never know. Your 'eagle eye' might spot one or two. I almost called it, 'Chance would be a fine thing'. Nuff said.
Griselda Heppel said…
Sadly my eagle eye undoubtedly misses many of my own cliches. It's probably impossible to avoid them completely. Also, there's a difference between cliches and idioms (which 'Chance would be a fine thing' may qualify as). Difficult to disentangle. Could be the subject of a future post!

Yes, I still pop in and out of X to keep abreast of what's going on. I don't like the click-bait format, presumably introduced by Musk. On the other hand, a lot of voices on it were silenced for years before Musk gave them back their accounts so I suppose it's all swings and roundabouts (idiom alert!).

Thanks for commenting.