Miles to Go - UmbertoTosi
The closest I've come to kicking the bucket was when pertonitis put me in a coma for three days at age 5. (That was in 1942, when I was saved by new antibiotic wonder drugs), and late one night a month ago, at age 89, when my inamorata, artist Eleanor Spiess-Ferris, found me unconscious on the floor of my home office, where I had fallen due to low blood sugar - a hazard for type 2 diabetic octgenarians on insulin like myself. Lucky for me she called 911.
(I won't count the murder of a character that my friend and prolific mystery writer Lewis Perdue named after me in his 1985 thriller, "The Linz Testament.")
The nonfiction me woke up in St. Francis Hospital, in the pricey 'burb of Evanston, Illinois, not far from my home on Chicago's North Side. Not that I'm a believer, but St. Francis, as well as Eleanor, must have been watching over me because I remain whole, and in possession of my faculties. I was bruised from my fall, but no broken bones.
Nevertheless, it has taken me a month of hospital, medical and rehab involving intensive physical therapy to regain my ability to walk and otherwise function. As a result, I've more than recovered. I've shed 20 pounds of spare tire, with more pep than I've felt for a long time.
![]() |
| Lulu by ESF and me. |
The last time I remember truly believing in a hereafter, was at age 13, riding my Schwinn bicycle up a hill in East Hollywood, California. I was coming home from parochial school, where I had received holy communion. If a car hits me and I die before having more of those nasty sex thoughts, I'll go straight to heaven, I thought.
Unless this turns out to be an after-life, the best I can share is metaphorical. i.e. - I arrived at the pearly gates, and told St. Peter I wasn't inclined to go softly into that good night. I had too much remaining to do down on earth.
| Eleanor Spiess-Ferris' magpie gouache |
And I have five great-grandchildren in California and Montana whom I want to see in person before I shuffle off.
I explained all this to St. Peter. Perhaps regretting not allowing Franz Schubert to finish that symphony, St. Peter granted me an extension. on condition that I stay in line,
and keep on working. That's my intention, I told him as I stepped into the elevator.
Writing these compact and challenging Japanese nature verses turned out to be a perfect distraction during my month-long recovery and diet of institutional food.
![]() |
| ESF Gouche - Birds on her mind |
Our present bird-themed ekphastic work likewise has noir shadings. Some are dark, others are satirical. So far, I've written two dozen bird haikus to match ESF's prolific, haunting, bird-filled works.
Now we're planning a showing and a picture book based on our joint effort. Show or no show, it's been well worth doing for therapy and perverse creative kicks.
--------------------------------------------
Umberto Tosi's novels include his highly praised Frank Ritz, Hollywood noir detective mysteries The Phantom Eye, and Oddly Dead, his story collection, Sometimes Ridiculous, plus his historical fantasy Ophelia Rising. He coauthored several nonfiction books, including the cold-war espionage epic High Treason, and Sports Psyching, plus novellas, including Our Own Kind.
His stories have been published in Catamaran Literary Reader and Chicago Quarterly Review, to which he is a contributing editor. His nonfiction essays and articles have been published widely in print and online.
He started at the Los Angeles Times as a staff writer and an editor for its highly praised Sunday magazine, West. He went on to be editor of San Francisco Magazine and managing editor of Francis Coppola's City of San Francisco. He joined Authors Electric in May 2015 and contributed to its Another Flash in the Pen and One More Flash in the Pen. He has four adult daughters. He lives in Chicago.
-------------------------------------------------------------
| Eleanor Spiess-Ferris |
She has won many prestigious awards and generous grants, including an Arts Midwest Fellowship grant and grants from the state of Illinois and the city of Chicago, where she now resides.
Her artwork is in the permanent collections of several museums: These include the Art Institute of Chicago, the Montana Museum of Arts and Culture in Missoula, the Racine Art Museum in Racine, Wisconsin, the Illinois State Museum in Springfield, Illinois, and the Minneapolis Institute of Art in Minnesota.
-------------------------------------------------------------------



Comments