Get Inspired - Lynne Garner

Last month I mentioned I'd treated myself to a Kindle Fire and had spent time not only playing games (well to be honest only the one Free Flow, which is very addictive) but I'd also explored a few writing apps. Over the last month I've been 'playing' with them and decided that I'd write couple of reviews. So here goes...

Note: The links take you to Amazon but these apps are also available for iPhone

Screens from 'Story Lines' 
Story Lines  
Designed by: Magostech
Cost: free

I love real story cubes and regularly use them in class to help inspire my students for their short stories. The cubes I normally use come in packs of nine giving you 54 images. However these have 10 images each, giving you 90 images, so offering many more combinations. To use you simply shake your phone or tablet and the dice scatter. You can then drag them into some order and lock the image. I've only used the app as a 'guest' however if you sign up you can also use the 'write story' facility. If playing on your phone (android) you can save an image of the 'throw' to your phone for later use. However I also uploaded to my iPhone and the app doesn't appear to offer this facility, which is a shame. This is an app I will be keeping and if you teach creative writing is one you may wish to introduce to your students. It's also a great app to have on you when you're sitting in that waiting room or on the train and want to exercise your imagination.

Name Dice
Name Dice app

Design by: Thinkamingo Inc.
Cost: Free

Name Dice is a simple tool to create interesting fictional names. It includes hundreds of first and last names, resulting in nearly endless names combinations. It's very simply to use, just tap on the screen and a new name appears. Those that it's generated for me include Ivy Lambert, Hugo Carter, Bailey Charles or it could be Charles Bailey. Again this is an app I'll not only use myself but will also introduce to my students. I may even combine it with the 5 x W and H game (who, what, why, when, where and how) I often start my courses off with.

There are another couple of apps I'm still exploring and if they are any good I'll let you know next month.

In the meantime if you have any favourite apps please do share.

Lynne

Now for a blatant plug - don't say I didn't warn you:

My latest short story collection Coyote Tales Retold is available on Amazon in ebook format. Also available Meet The Tricksters a collection of 18 short stories featuring Anansi the Trickster Spider, Brer Rabbit and Coyote is available as a paper back and an ebook. 

I run the following online courses for Women On Writing:
How to write A children's book and get published
5 picture books in 5 weeks
How to write a hobby-based how to book

Comments

Wendy H. Jones said…
I love apps so I am going to check these out
Bill Kirton said…
Thanks for these, Lynne. They'll be very useful for some workshops I give in schools. They'll also, no doubt, prove to be useful(?) displacement activities.
Chris Longmuir said…
I love story cubes. I bought 2 sets when my granddaughter was smaller and she used to produce them at Christmas parties etc. We did a round table version each player throwing and adding the next bit of the story. You've no idea the weird and wonderful stories we generated. I love apps as well so I wait with bated breath to see what else you bring us.
Mari Biella said…
Thanks, Lynne - very useful. I'm off to have a look now...
Lydia Bennet said…
How interesting Lynne, I don't tend to use apps and have never used any form of story cube, so will look into these for my android phone.
Lynne Garner said…
Thanks for the feedback. I have downloaded a few more and if I find them useful I'll let you know.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

How to Live with the End in Mind: Wendy Mitchell’s Choice -- by Julia Jones

Never Mind the Author Workshops, What Shall I Wear on World Book Day 2024? wonders Griselda Heppel

Close Reading | Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose | Karen Kao

Brain on a Train -- Umberto Tosi