Never really gone. Lorraine Smith










Before I married I had a beautiful cat called Poppy.  I met my husband at work, and she tolerated him and our two children as they came along. She loved to sleep on the top bunk in their bedroom. She died aged 16 in May 1998.  After that we would still hear the familiar dull thud from upstairs as she jumped from the top bunk . Sometimes the lounge door would open too, as if she was strolling in. My father died in September that same year and we never heard those noises again. We think she waited for Dad.


Comments

Peter Leyland said…
Hi Lorraine

We have a cat called Monty who is now 15 and we have just taken him to the cattery for our holiday. I know so well that dull thud from upstairs that you mention here. It won't be there tonight but I do hope we'll have many more of them, real ones not just remembered...

Thanks for your post

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath