Podcasts Anyone? by Joy Margetts

 

I have to admit I am a very visual person, and I am easily distracted. As a consequence I rarely listen to talk on the radio, don’t really get on with audiobooks, and haven’t – up until recently – engaged with the growing phenomenon of podcasts. If I have time to spare, I tend to read or watch something on a screen. I used to listen to things in the car, but these days I do so little driving, I don’t tend to get the time for any meaningful listening.


But I have been encouraged to explore podcasts and so I have been doing so. They are apparently one of the next big things in marketing to the masses. And you never know they might even help sell books! I am trying to make time to listen to more podcasts – the time I spend doing the ironing is one opportunity (!) – finding ones that are especially relevant to writing, my interests and my genre.

The world of podcasts is expanding and diversifying. I can guarantee that you will find one that fits just into your niche. A quick google search on the most popular podcasts in the UK offers you a selection  -  global news, business tips from a well known entrepreneur, off- beat marriage advice, or foodie chats. There is lots of satire, off the wall humour and ‘celebrity’ commentary on modern day issues. Interesting? Obviously to a huge swathe of the population. But not so helpful to me and my marketing needs.

So I have to find podcasts that work for me. And they are out there. We mustn’t forget our own Wendy H Jones’ excellent ‘The Writing and Marketing Show’ that airs weekly on a Wednesday.  I have also listened to some of Andrew J Chamberlain’s ‘The Creative Writer’s Toolbelt’ shows. I have found a Christian Historical Fiction Podcast that I dip in and out of, and a Historical Bookworm Podcast that also fits with my genre.

How do podcasts help with marketing? Well, of course you can set one up yourself, based on the things you write about. That is a obvious way of building your audience. But if that is not what you feel is for you, then the next best thing is to get yourself interviewed on one!


So that is what I have managed to do. I have recorded interviews about my books and how I came to write them, for two different podcasts in the last fortnight. One of then I approached myself. The podcast is called ‘The Creative Christians Chat Show’ with Brendan Conboy, and I am being featured as part of his ‘Creative in Brokenness’ feature.

The other opportunity came about through a mutual connection. Matt McChlery is interviewing me about The Healing, and my upcoming book, The Pilgrim for his ‘Christian Book Blurb’ podcast, focussing on my experiences of being published, and what inspires me.

.

So how do you feel about podcasts? Do you actively engage with them? Do you host one, or are you intending to start one up? Have you appeared as a guest on a podcast? And most importantly of all, have podcasts helped you sell books? I will have to wait and see on that one!

Comments

Peter Leyland said…
Yes, I did appear in a podcast Joy, not too long ago. I was interviewed by two F.E. lecturers about my ideas on bibliotherapy which as you may know I push in my AE blogs. At the end of about an hour they asked me what book I would recommend for our times and I mentioned Seamus Heaney's verse play The Cure at Troy. It is the story of how Philoctetes cannot move on until he allows his wound to heal. This is analogous to the Troubles in Northern Ireland and Bill Clinton quoted from it when he was assisting with the peace process. 'Human beings suffer...etc' on p77. I think it is one of the most important statements I have heard on war and I hoped people would be able to learn something from the play.

This account will go into my eventual book.
How interesting - I hadn't thought of that as a 'visual person 'but I suppose it is, as much as my version, which is that I 'see' rather than 'hear' whether it is my ideas for a story etc, also I love the radio as you can have it on while doing something else (housework, cooking)and can 'see' the story when reading. Interesting.

Did you grow up with TV? I grew up with radio, no TV until after GCSE age! (There was TV, we just didn't have one - not out of religious reasons, we just didn't.)
Ruth Leigh said…
I do like podcasts but I must admit the only ones I've really listened to are Wendy's, Andy's and Matt's. Does BBC Sounds count? I put on Popmaster or Just a Minute while doing the washing up. It helps the time go. We grew up without a TV and it was the radio 100%. So maybe I am someone who responds well to auditory information - I'd never really thought about it. Thanks for the blog, Joy! I really enjoyed it.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

Got Some Book Tokens? -- by Susan Price