November ~ by Maressa Mortimer

 



November is an odd month, I think. I don’t like cold, wet weather and by November, even I have to conclude that the summer has definitely gone.

On the other hand, November is NaNoWriMo time, where lots of us commit to write 50,000 words in November. That’s exciting, it’s busy, it’s a lot to do, especially as I decided this year to aim for 70,000 so my first draft of book 3 would be finished, rather than have it hang around my head for most of December and possibly January. Exciting! And such a great excuse for not going anywhere, for being far away, daydreaming about somebody else’s life...

It helps with the weather as well. My first proper NaNo project was Sapphire Beach, set in Crete, in September, with lots of soft beaches, baklava and sunshine. This year, my poor characters are making their way through a jungle; one nearly got eaten by a crocodile. Not as sweet as dreaming of baklava, but definitely warmer than it is outside.

Having said that, we went to Bournemouth last Saturday. The weather forecast wasn’t brilliant, but my husband had an errand in Bournemouth, so we all went. I love the beach, my children struggle with beaches as there’s a lot of sand. There is usually ice cream as well, so that makes up for the sensory overload. The shop they were looking forward to is still online-only, but the kids took this in their stride. We got to the beach in absolutely gorgeous weather. There were big boulders to climb on, lowering the sensory issues. There was ice cream, more bouldering and McDonalds on the way home, and only one meltdown. Definitely not a typical November day!

November is also the month where I keep thinking, “It’s nearly St Nicholas, then Christmas.” It comes with planning, not my thing, and expectations, which can go horrendously wrong. My children now love the idea of special days, but their expectations don’t always match reality. So there has been a bit of a shift: I am now the one with less expectations...

Mind you, come 5th December, I will be so exhausted from writing, any kind of chocolate and any kind of party will be fine... Anyone else not a fan of November, but surprised by lovely moments?


Comments

SC Skillman said…
I'm not a fan of November either so the fact that I had foot surgery on the 8th has meant a personal lockdown for me so far! However I intend to be back in action at the end of the month! Going to Bournemouth sounds wonderful.I love the sea and certainly we don't think of November as a time for trips to the seaside!

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Never Mind the Author Workshops, What Shall I Wear on World Book Day 2024? wonders Griselda Heppel

How to Live with the End in Mind: Wendy Mitchell’s Choice -- by Julia Jones

Brain on a Train -- Umberto Tosi

Poetic Licence - Sarah Nicholson