How a Single Sentence Count Got Me Back into the Saddle--Reb MacRath




You'd think that after writing novels since 1986 a writer would know how to start a new book. And I was confident I did after taking a a sabbatical to work on some Latin translations. 

I planned to spend the fall doing what I always do before I start a new novel: taking notes for several months before I started writing. But it felt different this time since I wanted to start a new series with a different cast. But my fears began to grow. Had I learned enough in all those years to take my work to higher ground? Was I too old? Did I lack the right commercial genes?


When  I'd filled two Moleskine-style- notebooks with questions and notes toward an outline, though I'd planned to start writing after New Year's, the first week in December my pencil started bucking like a stallion at the gate. And then--


I froze. The Muse said 'Bye!' And for the life of me I couldn't think how to start the book. I knew the importance of the first five pages..then 10, 25, and 50. But I feared to start to write even the first five words. I filled Moleskine pages with ridiculous first sentences. After days of this, I chanced on one that didn't seem so bad. I continued to fine-tune it till I felt driven to advance to a second sentence.


At this speed I'd spend the rest of my life on a single novel. But on the third day, I wrote two sentences that read as well as the first two. And now, weeks latter, I'm drafting 5-7 notebook pages daily. But if I have another single-sentence day on which I clear a hurdle in phrasing, phrasing, character development, setting, POV, that's fine with me. 




The photo above shows my strategy for staying ahead of the clerical drudgery. No more transcribing entire handwritten drafts! Now, as I finish drafting each section of the WIP in a black Moleskine, I transcribe it with light revisions into a cognac-colored Moleskine--and then type that section, running it through my /ProWriting software, 


Some days will go more smoothly than others. But none of them can touch the joy of slugging through to  that first sentence that put me back into the saddle.

Comments

Peter Leyland said…
An interesting account of the starting up process regarding your new novel, Reb. With 5-7 notebook pages daily it now sounds as though you're well on your way...

As for me I'm looking for a publisher for my autoethnographic account, whose working title is "The Companionship of Books"!!

Have a great Christmas and New Year from Peter
Reb MacRath said…
Thank you, Peter. Autoethnographic? The word is a new one for me. Yes, 5 to 7 notebook pages will bring me home eventually. Good days, lesser days, showing up is everything. Cheers.
Umberto Tosi said…
This is a new one on me. I'm tempted to try it, but not good with numbers. Thanks, Reb. Interesting.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

As Time Goes By

Dress to Impress your readers! by Elizabeth Kay

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath