Writing Slopes, by Neil McGowan

I’ve finally managed to obtain something I’ve wanted for a while – an antique writing slope, almost identical to the one below:



It’s probably taken a couple of years of looking to find the one I want, at the right price, and in the right condition. I must’ve become a bit of an expert on them since I started looking.

I didn’t want to buy new – part of the appeal, for me, as the history attached to it. I also didn’t want a restored version, for similar reasons. But I did want something that was more than just a pile of broken bits – surprising how hard it was to find something to match the image in my head.


I want to put my own stamp on it, give it my own twist to make it mine. I was also looking for a chance to flex my woodworking skills, and challenge myself with something different from the usual DIY or garden furniture. My most complex woodworking project so far has been a guitar, which I built many years ago; starting a family and changing jobs has meant less time available for long-term projects, so I’m eager to get back to working with wood for the sheer joy of it.


I also want to have a go at working with either felt or leather, for the scriver (technical term for the area you actually rest on to write). It currently has red felt as a writing surface, but over the years, this has stretched in the centre where the hinge is. I’m thinking leather would be more durable (and still in keeping with the period). I fancy a nice deep green, so will be researching how to work with leather next and ordering a piece.

Other than that, there are a few joints that will need re-gluing, and the whole thing needs a good clean. I’m planning on keeping the original finish, where possible, but it looks like there’s a couple of places where I’ll need to sand and refinish – thankfully, they’re on the inside, so should be able to match the finish reasonably well. I may add felt or leather to line the compartments, and I do want to make some little stops for the drawers, so they don’t fall out. I also need to make some handles or tabs for the slope itself, and the extra little compartments.

There’s brass-work to remove, clean, and fix – hinges are pretty good, but the slope catches are bent and sticking. The lock is mostly fine, just needs a clean and some lubrication.

I’ll be in my element, tinkering with things, enjoying the peace whilst cleaning bits. As my wife wryly observed, it’ll be like having The Repair Shop in the house.

But it’s already inspired a couple of short story ideas, both of which I’ve handwritten (I had to try it out, of course) with a view to writing the pieces themselves in the new year. And of course, I had to get a new pen to go with it. So a wee bit of looking and I now have a new fountain pen, hand-turned from an old Bowmore whisky barrel stave. It’s a beautiful writer (although my handwriting leaves a lot to be desired…) and I’m convinced there is just the faintest aroma of peat and smokey whisky from it... 

Comments

oh, that's a lovely piece! I usually end up with a magazine or a book on my lap, trying to write a letter on top of it and never quite getting the angle just right :-)

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

As Time Goes By

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath

Dress to Impress your readers! by Elizabeth Kay