Judging a book by its cover - Sarah Nicholson

 How do you choose which book to read?

Are you persuaded by a fabulous five-star review? 


Or does it take the personal recommendation of a friend to convince you?

Perhaps you choose a book because you have read something by the author before. Personally, I know anything by Kate Atkinson or Louise Penny are worth picking up, and Elly Griffiths’ series of Ruth Galloway stories are always a winner.

some of my favourite authors

But when you are confronted in a bookshop, library, or charity shop with a plethora of books by unknown authors how do you choose?

Do you judge a book by its cover?

What a book looks like is very important. Is the cover design eye-catching? Ultimately your first impression may lead you to pick it up, turn it over and read the blurb on the back. Then you may discard it or turn to the inside pages. Presentation, the overall look and feel of a book, can be almost as important as the words themselves. They need to complement each other.

If choosing a book to read is hard then choosing a cover for a book you have written and are about to publish is crucial.

How do you set the tone? Convey your story in a single image? Create something which enhances your beautiful words?

This is never something I have had to seriously consider before. I know the importance of images, many of my flash fiction stories have been inspired by picture writing prompts. I’m the sort of reader who sees clear images in my head when I read.

Whatever images I conjure in my own brain I know that I do not have the required skills to turn them into a worthy cover.

So when it came to designing the cover for my memoir I knew I had to hand it over to the professionals.

In my case I asked my niece who is a graphic designer by trade. Although she has never designed a book cover before she is an avid reader and creates the most beautiful personalised gifts for family and friends. I knew the cover would be in good hands.

I gave her a photo of me and my late husband as inspiration and it features on the back cover. 


original drawing by Olivia Rose Design

The front is made up of collection of other images from the inside pages.



It is truly beautiful and I’m pleased with the result but originally, she sent a selection of designs and I confess I was bamboozled, unsure which to choose.

In the end the cover I’ve chosen is the one that other people responded to most favourably. Making comments on the delicate details. Which compliments the words I have written about the seemingly insignificant details of life, the memories I have of life with my husband and then living without him.

The whole process of choosing a cover has been a learning curve for both me and my niece. I’m sure it will all be so much easier …. next time!

Assuming I ever want to go through this all again - hahaha.

And if you like the artwork please look up and follow @oliviarose_design on Instagram.

Comments

Ruth Leigh said…
Good questions, Sarah. The cover is so important. Having seen all your original designs, I think you've chosen exactly the right one and I can't wait to see the real thing - only a few more days!

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath