Rise From the Pits Like a Rock Star -- Reb MacRath


 I could give you a dozen excuses for my plunge to the bowels of the pits in filing organization. And a few of those alibis might seem understandable.
  • In the move from Seattle to Tucson, I'd left behind my filing cabinets and hadn't been careful enough in boxing personal papers.
  • In Tucson, with a bad knee and limited public transportation, shopping for office replacements had proved to be beyond me.
  • My work schedule and medical appointments got the best of my time management.
  • Etc, 

But screw excuses. I ended up with papers stuffed pell-mell in bags and boxes. And I couldn't find a thing. Furthermore, my new WIP demanded extreme organizational skills-- and I was starting to feel like an imposter. 

I recalled an old strategy that I called Transfer of Funds-- depositing confidence and power from past accomplishments to areas if weakness. Could it work again for me with the mess that I found myself in? 

To start, I bought a dozen cardboard bankers boxes, two dozen hanging holders, and three dozen file folders. And I accepted at the start that the entire project might take me up to a month. Just as I do with my writing, I dealt with one paper, or page, at a time.


And I'm here to tell you the transfer of funds also works in reverse. The more progress I make with the filing each day, the greater my confidence grows in clearing the WIP's hurdles.

Give it a try with some task you hate or think beyond you. It may enrich you elsewhere in ways you can't imagine.

                                                               *****

                                                        ADDED BONUS


After publishing this, I awoke from a deep sleep to the flash of a lightbulb within me: time management belongs to the same family as file organization. And I began to ponder where I'm losing or squandering time. How can I get more accomplished with a superior time game plan?

Stay tuned for more on this subject next month.


                                                            *****


Welcome to MacRathWorld, if you like premium blends of mystery, action, and suspense. From Caesar's Rome to Seattle today, the twists fly at the speed of night. If you're unfamiliar with my work, I recommend starting with the new Seattle BOP mysteries. Here's the link to my AuthorPage on Amazon for a detailed look at the variety of 'rides' in my amusement park.

https://tinyurl.com/y3fdxo7q




Comments

Peter Leyland said…
Very good Reb. I have a tremendous problem with file management. I’ll look forward to reading more.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath