Self-publishing journey continues on! -- Joy Kluver

When I posted in February, I'd just sent my MS off to my editor. She came back to me in March with only six pages of notes (when I used her for my debut it was fifteen pages so I consider this progress)! Overall she was happy and we clarified a few issues over a phone call.

I started to work on the corrections but as I was working through, I noticed a few odd mistakes that I thought I'd corrected. If you remember from last time, I got Word to read out my MS so I heard the changes I needed to make. Had I forgotten to change them? I then got to a bit where I knew I'd added more detail. It wasn't there. Then it dawned on me. I hadn't sent my final draft. In a hurry to get everything done before going away, I'd send an earlier revision.

For a day, it was the end of the world. Complete meltdown. Next day, a friend told me about the Compare option on Word. I tried it but there were too many changes for me to look at. I did my best to remember which passages I'd changed and looked at the two drafts. It's taken a while but I'm getting there. Word is reading my MS out again so those previous mistakes are being corrected. But I'm still thinking about possible plot holes that I might have missed and even had a couple of ideas when I was awake in the night.

 Is there ever a point where we are finally satisfied with our final draft? Hopefully by next month, I will be.

Comments

Susan Price said…
One of those editing nightmares, Joy, where your brain is tied up in knots!
Hope you're recovering and finding a way through...

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath