The Joys of Author Interviews by Allison Symes

Image Credit:  Images created in Book Brush using Pixabay photos.

I love author interviews whether I conduct them (for an online magazine) or if I’m reading or listening to them. I always learn something of interest. I  find how writers go about producing their work: an endlessly fascinating topic as we all approach writing in different ways. I’m not averse to picking up good tips either!

What is always encouraging is in finding out other writers also go through the rejection business. It is good to know you’re not alone on this.


When I conduct interviews, I want to find out what has led to the book which is being launched or how the author is making progress since I last spoke to them. 

I also like to ask for someone’s three top marketing tips because there is so much here, I don’t think any one writer can (a) know them all and (b) there is often common ground as to what works best for more than one author I’ve talked to. I see that as being good ground to follow myself! 


Being on the receiving end is lovely as it gives me a chance to share what I’ve been up to writing wise. It is also invaluable practice in talking about your own work but in an entertaining way. Keep it brief and to the point but also share tips you know other writers will find useful. 

I’ve found that has stood me in good stead. I did find talking about my writing at all such a nerve wracking thing to do when I first started out. Learning to keep it brief helped. I also found it encouraged others to ask more questions and then a natural conversation started, which was fine. 


The best author interviews I think should read/sound like a natural conversation. I also like it when authors share what they tried but didn’t work out for them when it comes to writing routines, marketing, and so on. There is much to be learned there too and it can save you considerable time knowing this in advance. It helps you work out whether you would be likely to find the same or not.

I am also keen to see authors being keen about their characters. You’ve got to care about your creations, right? Being honest about the challenges of getting characterisation right for a particular character is enlightening too. I think it is good to know the downs as well as the ups of the writing life. It helps to go into this with your eyes wide open. 


What I love most of all those are those interviews where an author has had so many rejections they could paper a whole street full of brick walls with them, yet they come through all of that and go on to be a published author. It does encourage me to keep calm and carry on. It reminds me all writers need a certain amount of grit, determination, but also a willingness to learn. I find that encouraging.


 

Comments

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath