Dying to resurrect them? How authors enjoy playing God, by Virginia Betts





A couple of days ago, I was watching The Truman Show, and it made me think how much writers have in common with the character of Cristof. If you have never seen the film, it is the story of how the 'creator' (Christof) of a major Television show and the network adopted an unwanted baby, (Truman) who unwittingly becomes the star of his own life on the long running show. The God(of the media)/man/free-will analogy is very clear, and what is magical about this film is the way it highlights the true resilience and unending curiosity - the need to explore - possessed by humans. Truman is safe in his bubble, but he need to embark on a quest for adventure. He literally breaks pout of his bubble and fee will wins out. But it got me thinking about the power authors have to manipulate both character and reader alike. Like Christof, as a writer of stories, I manufacture entire worlds and create characters who have lives, loves and adventures. I can put my characters through the wringer, mangle their lives; or give them romance and good fortune. I can give birth to new characters and kill them off if I want to. And if I want to, I can resurrect them, travelling back to their past in a flashback or prequel. I like to believe that I have no conscience about this; I enjoy the power. 

I have just finished writing my debut novel, which should be out in December. Having written books of stories and poetry before, I started the novel by accident. A poem based on a picture became chapter 1and then grew into an entire book. It is a very black comedy about four punk friends from 1976 to 2024. I am sure it won't be too much of a spoiler to tell you that I am not afraid to kill a few characters, but I can also revive them by travelling back in time to their past antics. Which also allows me the omnipotence of writing a second book about them! When I finished my book, however, I really missed the characters. This is something which also happens. If you deal your characters an unfair hand in their made-up lives, you end up feeling sorry for them; if you kill them, you try to think of ways to bring them back. Hopefully, though, this means that your readers are also invested in their lives too. So, in advance, I am sorry about what I have put my characters through. Try not to feel too sorry for them. After all, real life is not all honey. 

Virginia Betts is a Tutor, writer, poet and actor from Suffolk. She has written numerous articles and fiction, written for stage and radio, and published three books, Th Camera Obscure (supernatural stories) Tourist to the Sun (poetry) and That Little Voice (poetry) Her fourth book, Burnt Lungs and Bitter Sweets, (a punk novel) is coming soon!



Comments