Better Late than Never: Misha Herwin

 


It’s not that I forgot - that would be the simple explanation – rather that somehow I simply didn’t register that today was blog day. I know my post is due on 11th of each month and as that date approaches I make time to write it. This month that didn’t happen.

I suppose it’s because life has been taken up recently with a swirl of medical appointments, mostly husband’s but one of two mine. Nothing untoward, mostly positive in fact, and fingers crossed he will be en-route to having a second cataract removed and his hip revision done. In the meantime, he can’t drive, or walk very far, so in addition to everything else I’ve found myself in the role of chauffeur. It’s also meant that I have to go with him to do the shopping, which given my loathing of supermarkets is not something I appreciate.

Then there is the garden. In this year of strange weather it needs constant attention or it turns back into a wilderness. Not that I have anything against re-wilding, but I do need to be able to get to the washing line and reach the greenhouse. Here too things are not going as expected. Because of the lack of sun, the tomatoes are only now ripening and the cucumbers don’t look as if they will ever progress beyond finger size.

In the midst of all this I’ve found it hard to carve out time to write or blog, but I’m determined not to feel guilty.

My new mind-set is to celebrate what I’ve achieved each day, even if it’s only writing the  acknowledgements for “The Ice Angel” the last Letty Parker book and in the meantime to enjoy the small pleasures of life.

Yesterday I might not have been writing my blog, but I was sitting in the garden with a glass of spiced ginger cordial puzzling over my Suduko. It was still and quiet, the potentilla was bursting with white blossom, there was a bee on the clematis and the scarlet geranium had flowered.

 

Comments

Reb MacRath said…
Glad you're okay. Life does get in the way, now and then, of our plans and good intentions. This morning, I had to set the alarm at an extra-early hour so i could get to the cafe at opening and get my lucky seat. There I parked in a race against time and my fading laptop battery. Made the deadline, barely!
A 'sitting in the garden day' should be prescribed more often :-) And you have ripe tomatoes!!! I have some lovely big green ones on the plant outside my back door, but no sign of ripening yet... I have almost given up. What would you think is best? Pick them and put them on a sunny windowsill? (I don't have a greenhouse). Or leave them on the plant and hope for some late summer heat?

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

As Time Goes By

Dress to Impress your readers! by Elizabeth Kay

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath