Theakstons Crime Writing Festival at Harrogate -- Joy Kluver

 It's that time of year again when crime authors and readers gather together in Harrogate for the Theakstons Crime Writing Festival. This year was special as it was the twentieth year of the festival, proving the popularity of crime fiction.




For me, it was my fifth time and I think my favourite. I travelled up a day early to beat the train strike. It was quite eerie walking round an empty site at The Old Swan on Wednesday evening. Peace didn't last for long though and the place quickly filled up on Thursday.


I opted to go to a few panels but I also took part in Grill A Killer, organised by former Chief Superintendent Graham Bartlett, where I got to put my police procedural skills to the test! Working in pairs, we had ten minutes each to try and catch out our murder suspect. I was about to ask a crucial question when our time ran out and we had to hand over to the next pair. But I was proved right at the end!


I also attended a Christmas party! Really! It was a launch for Janice Hallett's new book coming out in October - The Christmas Appeal. Our favourite amateur dramatic company is back, serving up murder and mayhem for the festive season. 




I also took the opportunity to give out some prizes and postcards, discovering that the queue for the Ladies is a captive audience!

Sadly though, I wasn't the only one having a great time as Covid had a better one. I came home feeling unwell on Sunday, having caught Covid for the first time. I wasn't the only one. I don't appear to have passed it on to anyone I was with at Harrogate but I have given it to my family. 



If you feel that you've missed out then there are lots more festivals coming up with Capital Crime Thursday 31st Aug - Saturday 2nd September, Bloody Scotland Friday 15th - Sunday 17th September, Chiltern Kills on Saturday 7th October and Fatal Shore on Saturday 14th October (sold out but there may be a waiting list). And I have the great honour of interviewing Janice Hallett on Saturday 21st October as part of Wimbledon Bookfest. You can book tickets for that here. I can't promise the Wombles will be at our event.

Comments

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

As Time Goes By

Dress to Impress your readers! by Elizabeth Kay

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath