Self-publishing journey - yep, still going!

 Last month I told you about my MS woes when I discovered that I'd sent the wrong draft to my editor. Well, you'll be pleased to know that I sent the right draft to my copy editor/ proofreader in April. She's working on it at the moment. In the meantime, I've sent uncorrected digital proofs out to crime authors to get some quotes. The cover is almost ready - just waiting for an author quote to go on the front.

All sounds positive, right? Well, yes and no. There's still a lot to do that I'm avoiding, like buying ISBN numbers and working out how I'm going to format the book when it's ready and I don't even want to talk about marketing! Breathe, Joy, breathe. 

I think self-publishing has taught me just how much a publisher does and how little I know about it all. Gone are the days when an author could just 'write'. Even with a traditional publisher, there's still an expectation on an author to help with the publicity.

It still all feels overwhelming but the first author quote has come in, and I admit, I had a little cry. Forgive me for sharing it with you. I've spent so much time doubting myself over this story and whether or not I was doing the right thing. This quote has restored my faith. Hopefully next time, I'll be able to share a cover and maybe even a publication date.



Comments

Dianne Pearce said…
Fantastic! Keep going, and good luck!

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Meet Author Virginia Watts, a Finalist for the Eric Hoffer Award, and Find Out How She Does What She Does

Last Chapter?

As Time Goes By

Misogyny and Bengali Children’s Poetry by Dipika Mukherjee