In constant pursuit of happiness… by Virginia Betts

If you check out the title, you might think it can be taken in two ways: We are all constantly pursuing happiness, or happiness is ‘inconstant.’ And that’s the thing – maybe due to the pressures of social media, tv and magazines, we expect to be happy and entertained all the time and believe that there is something wrong with us if we are not. It is ok not to be happy all the time, just as it is ok to have downtime and do nothing. And happiness is very subjective: what makes me happy might be torture for you and vice-versa. So, I suppose what we all need to think about is, ‘what does happiness mean to me’?

 

On August 6th, I’ll be visiting the Tate Gallery to see an exhibition of art by Yoko Ono. It features all her previous work, including the ‘half a wind’ show, which was shown at the Indica Gallery where she met John Lennon. I mention this because, having seen it before in the 90’s, I know that this is art that definitely makes people happy. Yoko includes positive messages like ‘yes’ and ‘you are here’ as well as a happiness wall, and a tree where you can add your own messages and be part of the art.

 

How does this link to writing? Well, firstly, by the time you read this, I will have just attended the Primadonna Festival, an exclusive festival for writers, held in Stowmarket in Suffolk. In fact I am there right now! I will write about what happened next time, but for now, I can tell you that having attended for the previous two years, it’s a festival that makes you happy, and they have re-created a ‘wall of happiness’ inspired by Yoko’s show. Being able to express yourself, in any way, be it a little message that becomes part of an art exhibition, or as an author, poet, or performer, is something that sends those endorphins rushing sky high!

 

Writers get very excited when they complete a piece of work – I have written four books now – two poetry books and a book of stories – I just finished my first full length novel which tells the story of four punk friends and their misadventures from 1976 to the present day. When I completed it, I was so happy, as I am so proud of this book. I will be a little sad to see it go though, and probably I will have to plan a sequel for all the years and stories I didn’t write about it in this one. It made me wonder if other authors feel the same sense of poignancy when they have to say goodbye to characters who have been living in their heads for a while. My novel has the words ‘Bitter Sweets’ in the title, and that is how it feels. My creations have made me laugh, cry and gasp in horror at the antics I have made them get up to. In this way, I suppose authors are a little like the gods – we have the power to make our characters live happy lives or put them through the mill – it is perhaps why readers can relate to slices of urban realism, because, as I said, no-one can expect to be happy all the time.

 

I asked a few writers and stallholders at Primadonna what makes them happy and here’s some of the responses –

 

Music – Music transcends everything and has the power to connect you to your higher self. It reaches people in a way that no other art form does. In terms of emotions, it can create and manipulate in a way that is instant. It can make you fight; angry and happy. It is powerful stuff! I love music like nothing else. (Jackie Carreira – author and co-founder of the Foreword Festival – The world’s first literary fringe festival – and Quirkhouse Theatre.)

 

Nature – all the different lights and sounds of nature – A J Deane – actor and writer.

Gardening and being part of a community – especially for intergenerational connections – Jess The Guilt Free Soapery.

 

My Cat – Simon Black, Suffolk Writer and Suffolk Poetry Society.

 

Playfulness – Mai Black Suffolk Writers Group.

 

Art – because I come from a family of artists, and I love writing poetry about art (painting with words). I also collect art. – Sue Wallace-Shaddad (Secretary of Suffolk Poetry Society)

 

I found my happy life when I went freelance – I left the rat race and found time to write books, act in plays and I also tutor. For me, I enjoy being super-busy, but no-one should feel the pressure to be busy all the time. As authors, we can’t write if we are burnt out and we should never feel guilty for taking some time away from the laptop. It’s good for the brain to have a rest, and it’s great to be ‘lazy’. So, get away from the hassle of life, leave the housework and go and find your happy place. If you need to be sad – be sad! Eat some ice-cream; take a walk by the water; contemplate life, the universe and everything. If you’re a writer, you can always call it ‘research’!


 


Virginia Betts is a tutor, writer poet and actor from Suffolk. She has written numerous articles and fiction, written for stage and radio, and published three books, The Camera Obscure, Tourist to the Sun and That Little Voice. Her fourth book, a Punk Novel, is coming soon!

 

Comments

Peter Leyland said…
Thanks for this Virginia. it's an interesting account of life as a writer and what makes people happy. If I were to be asked that question, I suppose I would say mixing with people who read books and love literature - poetry, novels, plays etc - but it gets harder and harder to find them. I've recently joined a choir which is one of my better decisions.

Good luck with the punk novel.