An Apple A Day by Ann Evans


We all know that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, well these hospital workers want more than just apples, they want the complete crumble – and any other delicious recipes you'd care to share with them.

I thought you'd all be keen as mustard, and certainly not sour grapes if I passed on this culinary request to you. So don't get in a pickle, as what I'm about to ask you is as easy as pie. And if it's not your cup of tea well I'll eat my hat!

Okay enough of the foodie cliches. A couple of days ago I was contacted by a lady named Denise Cross, asking if I would like to contribute a favourite recipe to a cookery book that she and her team are putting together. She also asked if I knew of any other authors who would also like to contribute - hence this timely blog post!


When I learned what this cookery book was in aid of, I was only too pleased to help. Denise works at the Children's Hospital School in the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham. The school aims to enhance the current and future well being of children and young people unable to attend school due to ill health.

Denise explained: “We work with children and young people aged 4 – 18 with a range of medical conditions and we strive to provide them with a continuity of education whilst with us. As a team we are in the process of developing a recipe book. All funds raised will go to our Ducklings Charity, which will be used to enhance the lives of children while they are with us.”

She added: “This is where I hope you can be of assistance. Would it be possible to send us your favourite recipe (sweet or savoury), an explanation of why you have chosen this one and maybe a picture of yourself or one of your characters.”


Having a bit of a sweet tooth, there's a favourite cake that my daughter, Debbie is a dab hand at making. So I was quickly on the phone to her asking for the recipe. It didn't have a particular name, so I've called it Debbie's Double Chocolate Fudge Cake.

I chose that because it's a cake that we all love when we're having a family get together on some Sunday afternoons. So I sent Denise the recipe and a jpg of myself. I could have sent her a photo of one of my characters but as the majority of my characters are usually being haunted or chased by sabre toothed tigers, I thought a smiley picture of me and Debbie's lovely dog, Lola would be more palatable.



Denise and the team at the Children's Hospital School would love to hear from any authors who could provide a recipe for their book. They are very keen fund raisers for their Ducklings charity, as you can see by these happy photographs here. And of course being featured in their new book is a nice bit of free publicity for us too. So if I can egg any of you on, details are below. And if you're sending a picture yourself, don't forget to say cheese!





If you would like to have your favourite recipe in this book, please get in touch with Denise directly. Email: Denise.Cross@hhe.nottingham.sch.uk

Further details of the Children's Hospital School. http://qmceducationcentre.co.uk/

And the Ducklings Charity is on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/DucklingsCharity/




Please visit my website: http://www.annevansbooks.co.uk





Comments

JO said…
What a great project. I do so little cooking I've nothing to contribute (though I make a mean jacket potato) but wish you all well.
Enid Richemont said…
Just contributed to this, Ann. Thanks for the link.
Ann Evans said…
Thank you Enid, I'm sure they'll be very please. Jo, I'm sure it doesn't have to be your own food, just a dish you really love - even if someone else is cooking it.
Unknown said…
You're quite right Ann. It can be absolutely anything which you / or someone in the family makes.
It can be anything from cheese on toast (because this is what I had when I came in from school on a bad day) to something complicated like my great-grans Secret Fruit Cake with a list of ingredients as long as your arm.
Absolutely anything is welcome

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

How to Live with the End in Mind: Wendy Mitchell’s Choice -- by Julia Jones

Never Mind the Author Workshops, What Shall I Wear on World Book Day 2024? wonders Griselda Heppel

Close Reading | Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose | Karen Kao

Brain on a Train -- Umberto Tosi