Writing Exercises - Gym time for the mind. -- Amanda Bedzrah

I don't want to be a one dimensional author and I think it is very important to be a life long learner of any craft. It is with this in mind that I started exploring ways to exercise my writing. The need to become a better author and ensure that I remain relevant has driven me to do writing gymnastics. Some days I am walking, running other days and weightlifting some days.

I know I need to exercise my body, one look in the mirror or a trip up the stairs reminds me how much I need to. I have not always been successful with the gym and I have wasted many months of gym membership, but when it comes to exercising my writing, I have enjoyed it more and find myself committed. It has been a lot of fun exercising my mind. 

However, as with physical exercise, I find that writing exercise requires the same discipline and intentionality. It doesn't just happen, you don't just get slim or strong and like physical exercise if you stop, bad habits creep back in and the weight creeps back on.

I started doing these exercises when I noticed I was getting a lot of writers block and my written language was becoming very monotone. My show not tell balance was skewed, tilting to the edge. It was time to exercise my mind.


There are various ways you can exercise your writing, you just need to find what works for you. Here are some that I have tried -

1. Write at a set time each day - choose a time, set your alarm and regardless of where you are, just write. I use the notes function on my phone if I'm out or I do have a notebook in my handbag. It does not have to be writing your WIP it can be anything. What this has done for me is build discipline. The art of writing everyday no matter what.

2. Time your writing - set a time. I usually have 10 mins writing sprints or in some cases I do half marathons where I write for at least 2 hours. I figured that if I can invest as much time watching a movie I can do the same with my writing. So at at least once a week I try to do a half marathon if I don't have a WIP. But when I am writing a book, I will put in some full marathon days.

3.Writing Prompts - I love these, I take a word, any word and just write something about it. I get creative and look for something random. It might be a picture I look at, for example the one below, there are a few prompts I can see - trees, leaves, green, bend, wood, nature, outdoors etc so much can become a prompt from one picture. You can even choose to write every prompt you can find from one picture over 7 days. That is a very enjoyable exercise.


4. Read widely - I have started reading outside my personal preference. Reading genres I normally would not enjoy. This has been a real exercise for me as it engages my brain in a way that other books don't. It teaches me how to not only appreciate other types of written work, but to also learn new ways to write. However, I grew up hearing writers are readers and so I make it a point to read regularly as well. There is so much learning you get from a book.

5. Write Letters - In this day of IT, the art of letter writing has been lost. A quick instant message is far more easier, yet, I have found myself taking the time to write letters, put in an envelope and post it. There is a separate part of my brain that I engage to write a letter that I have now come to enjoy. 

6. Write Spontaneously - Have you ever had those moments where you suddenly decide to go for a walk or a run? It is so much fun to do the same with writing. Just look for those moments of inspiration and just write.

7. Write a different POV - This was a real challenge for me. To take a story and change the POV. It works your writing muscles and helps you think deeply. I enjoyed this practice so much I wrote my last novel in 1st person. I had never written any book in 1st person before.

The list above is not exhaustive. There are other writing exercises that are out there, these ones I have shared are the ones I have used and enjoyed. As with every type of exercise, it take time and careful planning but the benefits are hugely rewarding.

I am keen on taking it a step further and booking a writing course, just to learn something new. If you have any great recommendations, please let me know. If you do have any other exercises to share, please share in the comments, I would love to know what other ways to exercise this wonderful gift of writing.




Wife to 1, mother to 3. Lover of all things books.

www.amandabedzrah.com

New novel released May 2022 - Becoming Queen Bathsheba

Comments

Peter Leyland said…
Great ideas Amanda, the discipline has obviously helped you deal with issues like writers' block. The only one I can really say I use is reading widely and even then I tend to stick to literary texts. But I can recommend writing courses. Those i have used successfully in the past for poetry and short stories are The Arvon ones - beautiful settings, great tutors and lovely fellow writers if that's what you're into. I even got a bursary as a low wage earner. I wrote about one on here in April 2021 - 'What We Did on Our Holidays'.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Amanda Bedzrah said…
Thank you so much Peter. I will look into the courses you’ve described. Thanks also for the comment.
Umberto Tosi said…
Thanks, Amanda! I needed this reminder - very thorough!
Amanda Bedzrah said…
You are so welcome Umberto, glad you enjoyed it

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

Got Some Book Tokens? -- by Susan Price