Have Laptop Will Write - and Travel by Wendy H. Jones

 


As a writer I have several trips planned this year, to all points of the globe. Well, actually, I might be exaggerating just a bit there but I will be going to Israel, London, Gloucestershire and the USA, so not bad really. Also, a few trips within Scotland. So, I and my trusty laptop will be on the road a lot. Thank heavens for laptops is all I can say. I have a PC which has sat, unused and looking magnificent, in my office. Yes, I do use that but I am on my laptop most of the time. Why are you telling me this, I hear you ask? Good question and worthy of an answer.

Firstly, I would like to assure you that going on a trip - a couple of mine are writing retreats - can get the old grey cells nicely fired up. Seeing new places and experiencing new ways of doing things is superb for boosting creativity. Different food, different time zones, different temperatures (I'm a hot house flower planted in a cold climate), different landscapes and even different colours gives us a fresh perspective on life and the way we perceive things. As does meeting new people. Ideas for books will come whizzing in. I travelled to New Orleans for a conference and ended up writing a book based in New Orleans. Also, getting out of your comfort zone and writing in different places can boost productivity. It's amazing how much you can get written when you are away from home - no television and nothing to clean or food to cook. So, I definitely recommend travel.

However, you may be saying, I've got commitments or I don't have the money to travel. Good point, well raised. I recommend you go to the next village or town. have a walk around. Take in the sights. Then, sit in a cafe and write on your laptop or with a notebook and pen. You'll be amazed at how much better you will feel and how much you will get done. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've a trip to pack for. Where is the best place you have ever written? Let me know in the comments. I'd love to hear about it. So far, my best place has been sitting in a bar looking out at the Caribbean Sea. Now, that was fun. There's nothing like a cocktail to get the creative juices flowing. 

Wendy H. Jones is an award-winning, international best-selling author who writes adult crime books, young adult mysteries, children's picture books and non-fiction books for writers. She is also a writing and marketing coach, partner in Auscot Publishing and Retreats, and the CEO of Authorpreneur Accelerator Academy, as well as the president of the Scottish Association of Writers and host of The Writing and Marketing Show podcast. She is currently writing a series of historical fiction novels based around the life of a 19th Century Surgeon in the Royal Navy. 

Website

Amazon Author Page

Comments

Ruth Leigh said…
For me, probably sitting in a chalet looking out over the Swiss Alps and seeing hang gliders swooping into the valley. I totally agree that travel broadens the mind and gives the writer great new ideas. And you don't have to go far. A coffee shop does the trick every time.
Umberto Tosi said…
Happy trails, Wendy! I look forward to reports on your adventures as they unfold.
Dianne Pearce said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dianne Pearce said…
Really enjoyed your post! Safe travels!

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

This one wild and precious life... reviewed by Katherine Roberts