In Praise of Happy Valley part 2

 When I wrote my post last month. Happy Valley had just started. As it's now finished, it seems right to give my final conclusion. It. Was. Brilliant! 


** SPOILER ALERT - IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE FINALE YET, DON'T READ ON!**


There's so much that can be learnt from great screenwriting and what impressed me most was how the writing wasn't rushed. I thought it would be full steam ahead after episode four but no. The pace was kept spot on. Having said that, I'd have liked to have seen Faisal, the diabolical pharmacist, dealt with. All it would have needed was a police car pulling up outside his house and him noticing. But on the other hand, throwaway comments are part of Catherine Cawood's speciality. Car registration plates that lead to arrests, for example. So, a final nugget of intel that she passes on as she packs up her box and walks out of the police station, fits perfectly with her character.

The policing side of things was done very well. I was at a talk last week with former Chief Superintendent of Sussex Police, Graham Bartlett. He was asked what police drama was the most realistic and his answer was Happy Valley. The irony of course, is that Sally Wainwright, in an interview, said that it wasn't a police procedural! Graham cited one of the incidents from series one when PC Kirsten McAskill was run over and killed by Tommy Lee Royce. Catherine was first on the scene, after responding to Kirsten's SOS call. Catherine was completely broken by what she saw and took a moment before going into police mode. There were little nods back to previous episodes and when Catherine pressed her SOS button, it made me think of the above scene.

It was also interesting to see who featured in the final episode and who didn't. Catherine's ex-husband, Richard, wasn't there and neither was her son, Daniel, nor his girlfriend, Ann. Neil and Nev didn't feature much either. Personally, I think this was deliberate and a line from Ryan explained why. When he told Catherine what Ann had said about how his grandfather and uncle had walked away when he was born, he reminded Catherine that Clare had always been there. Catherine hadn't raised her grandson alone – her sister had been with her every step of the way. So, I think this is why the finale was honed down to Catherine, Clare, Ryan and Tommy Lee Royce. I'm hoping that all four of these actors will get nominations for BAFTAs and win. Some might think that at 16, Rhys Connah, is too young for such an accolade. But honestly, I don't think I've seen another supporting actor as great as him in any other series in the last year. The last time I saw talent this good this young, was Daniel Radcliffe. I hope Rhys continues to act. Managed well, he has a fabulous career ahead of him.

And so, to the scene we were all waiting for – the showdown between Catherine and Tommy. There was a lot of speculation on social media (especially Twitter) has to how it would all end. I don't think anyone predicted it correctly. Contrary to urban myth, there weren't four different endings. However, in an interview for The Big Issue, James Norton did reveal that the original ending was changed. And what an ending between the two of them! I cried a little. It was so emotional. I'm not sure which scene was better – this one or the coffee shop with Claire. So many magical moments throughout.

The very final scene only had Catherine in it. Personally, I'd have liked it if Ryan and Clare had been in the car and Clare had asked if they were going to the Himalayas now. 'Maybe start with Dales,' would have been my reply from Catherine. But it had to be just Catherine on her own because the show is all about her. Am I happy with the ending? Yes, and it's right for the story to stop there. Perfection.

If you want to read what Sally Wainwright and some of the cast think about the series, then click here for a BBC interview.


And finally, being a bit cheeky here, I've got another author event coming up at West Barnes Library with Elly Griffiths and Lesley Thomson on Monday 27th February at 7.30pm. All the details are on the poster.



Comments

Peter Leyland said…
Great post Joy. We were watching it with bated breath too. In my opinion the coffee shop scene was better, just. I thought in the final scene Tommy was inching towards self-knowledge but chose self-destruction instead. One of my Twitter connections said, quite matter of fact, 'What happened to the three bodies in the field?'

Thanks for the follow-up info.
Julia jones said…
I have shut my eyes and scrolled to the end just to say how much I agree with you about the quality of writing, characteristaion (esp minor characters) and pace. But we've only watched series one...

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

Got Some Book Tokens? -- by Susan Price