Are You Still Hot to Trot? Oh...Do Be. Do! by Reb MacRath




We called them trots--or sometimes cribs: word-for-word translations we used in the study of Latin. And in a moment I'll tell you why you should give a rat's arse about that. Without a trot, who could survive the horror of translating Cicero, Caesar, Horace, and the other Dead White Dudes who made our days such nightmares?

 The two most basic trots were from the Loeb Classical Library and Cambridge University Press. Loeb as shown below shows the original text on the left and a more or less literal rendition on the right. The Cambridge text beside it sheds detailed light on lines and even single words. 





 We could survive a course in Latin where all that really mattered were grammar and literal meaning. But to have a prayer of understanding the deepest meaning of any classic needed help from Cambridge and other first-rate trots. Which we had no time for then, no more than our instructors.

 

 Okay okay already! What's trotting got to do with you in 2021?

 

1) Learning to read at least parts of the classics in their original language is the only way to really ‘get’ the true power and beauty of the author's style.

2) Taken up as a hobby or just a passing adventure you may find yourself with a new consuming passion. I began with an attempt to translate 1 or 2 poems by a lesser-known Roman poet: Propertius. This photo shows my reference guides now:

 



3) The pursuit of giving a dead text new life is more challenging and rewarding than Sudoku, crosswords,1000-pc puzzles, or collecting Legos. 

4) As a writer I can't think of a better warm-up exercise than wrestling with a line or two for a half-hour. The repeated focus on finding the just-perfect word is a fine way to start a new writing session.

 

One example? Certainly!

Consider the following translations of the first lines of one poem by Propertius:

1) Cynthia first with her eyes ensnared me poor wretch that had previously been untouched by desire.

--Loeb edition translated by G. P. Goold..(Verdict: Oh dear...)

2) Cynthia was the first. She caught me with her eyes--a fool/who had never before been touched by desires.

--Princeton University translation by Vincent Katz. (Verdict: better but still missing a commanding tone or the style of a living language.)

3) Cynthia's eyes ensnared me who'd never before been caught/ in desire's nets...

University of California Press translated by David R Slavitt. (Verdict: Slavitt's a brilliant translator and poet and his rendition is shot through with flashes of greatness. But I can't picture these lines turning many heads in the Forum when read.)

 In the trots, I found a clue to what might be missing.

As shown in the Cambridge U photo above the Latin in the second line has the word 'contactum' which has the dual sense of being hit as with a missile and being infected. In a half-dozen other translations, I found two infection metaphors--but nothing capturing the violence of a missile hit. The right translarion--for me--would suggest both.

 All of the translations I sampled seemed too academic, too literal, too faux-respectful. All of them could have used a little more bounce and sass. A little more awareness of a 20-year-old genius storming the Roman literary citadel and demanding his seat at the table with the established greats.

 

 Well and good but where's the beef?

On top of all that there's incredible joy in communing with a long-dead spirit who was once as real as we are now. And the best trots can clue us into miracles that we might miss. Here’s Gilbert Highet on just five words from Catullus—loved by all because he seems so simple:

 

It might seem impossible to convey the roar of the Indian Ocean in only five words, but Catullus does it. In three vowels he evokes the long loud-mouthed bellowing of the wind, and in the repetition of one booming syllable, the repeated thunder of the breakers:

 

longe resonante (E-O-A) tunditur unda

 

And so a poet lives again.

 

This is my report.

 

                                                           *****




Welcome to MacRathWorld, if you like premium blends of mystery, action, and suspense. From Caesar's Rome to Seattle today, the twists fly at the speed of night. If you're unfamiliar with my work, I recommend starting with the new Seattle BOP mysteries. Here's the link to my AuthorPage on Amazon for a detailed look at the variety of 'rides' in my amusement park.


https://tinyurl.com/y3fdxo7q





 

 

Comments

Bill Kirton said…
Fascinating (and brave) Reb. It had me grabbed for two specific reasons.
First, long, long ago, I needed to pass ‘O’ level Latin to get a place at university. I failed, but an excellent teacher (whose name I’ve unforgiveably forgotten) taught me not Latin but how to pass a Latin exam so my next try worked and Quod reliquum historia est (or maybe not – I’ve no idea).
Second, not quite so long ago, I was fortunate enough to be invited to the University of Rhode Island as a visiting professor in the Theater Department and, being a prof in a French department here in Scotland, part of the deal was that I should translate 3 Molière plays for performance by their students. I decided to give them some variety so chose a farce, a relatively straightforward prose comedy and a play of rhyming couplets. Solving the linguistic problems and, in the process, creating equivalent English versions of the many dramatic/humorous effects proved highly enjoyable and instructive. It was also definitely more rewarding than Sudoku.
Umberto Tosi said…
Two years of high school Latin back when it was still offered in secondary school, translating Julius Ceasar, et. al. and they never taught us about trots and cribs. Thanks, Reb. I'm still glad for what Latin taught me about English, history & language, but cribs would have made it much more relevant and rewarding as you point out.
Reb MacRath said…
Thanks to Bill and Umberto for your feedback. Since my comma key has gone into a coma I have to grow more ingenious each day at phrasing around the need for one...or not giving a hoot when I can't. Bill's translation of Moliere intrigues me. No rhymed version--imo--could be literal and line for line. Some brilliant rhymes might not work out in English--so I guess the plan should be to find another location for an equally clever rhyme...when possible.

Umberto: I'm considering a return to home study of Latin again--with cribs!
Wendy H. Jones said…
Reb, I am completely in awe. What a fascinating post and insight. Thank you.
Sandra Horn said…
Sorry to be late to the party again. Fascinating, Reb! I've just been given a book of modern Italian poetry in translation and it really highlights the clunkiness of word-for-word as opposed to finding the nearest/best way of conveying the spirit of the work. The older stuff is painful to read, but when it comes to Eco, it's a joy - partly, I think, because the sentiments are those we can relate to - ? I'm still thinking about it... Thanks for a thought-provoking post!
Reb MacRath said…
Thanks to Wendy for the kind words. Glad you liked it.
Reb MacRath said…
Thanks to Sandra for sharing my frustration with literal translations. When I wrote the post I was unaware of how far back the debate raged between the word for worders and the paraphrasers. Cicero wrote on the subject! I'll take an 'inspired by' or 'an appreciation' any old day of the week.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

Got Some Book Tokens? -- by Susan Price