Swaying Stacks ~ by Maressa Mortimer


 I only found out a few years ago what a TBR Pile stands for. I didn’t even have one, just a few books I had waiting for a quiet evening. When the children joined, eight years ago now, I couldn’t read for a whole year. I wouldn’t have believed it if somebody had warned me of this. How can you not read?

When I started writing, my evenings suddenly were filled with storytelling rather than reading. Even now, three years later, I have to make time to read as well as write. That means that some evenings only one of them gets done.

English isn’t my first language, and one of the things I noticed is that I have no idea what books to choose from. In the Netherlands, I had a few writers that I liked and I was familiar with others that I might read if I couldn’t find anything else in their ginormous library. When I moved to England, it was different. The only authors I recognised were Enid Blyton, Shakespeare, George Orwell and Roald Dahl. We had to read several books in English, and although they had been “interesting”, I didn’t want to read them a second time.

So I ended up walking around the library rather aimlessly, feeling lost. I found a few crime books set in the Cotswolds, which I enjoyed and stumbled across books about Maisie Dobbs. I enjoy crime books but don’t like bad language or bedroom scenes. We don’t let visitors upstairs, so I have no desire to go upstairs in somebody else’s house.




So how did I end up with a precariously swaying TBR pile, as well as various TBR stacks around the house? It’s because of friends. People in wonderful groups have been recommending books, I was asked to join a book tour group which has been great fun and a week or so ago, Wendy H. Jones came to stay in our holiday cottage. We were planning a kind of writing retreat, which didn’t see as many words written as we’d hoped, but was definitely a great treat.

We went to Hay-on-Wye for the day and drooled our way through the many bookshops there, my favourite being Murder and Mayhem. Of course, Wendy knew loads of the authors, so I managed to get home with a bag full of mysteries. My Mother-in-law is downsizing and some of her books ended up at our house. I did recognise a few, but thanks to Wendy, I ended up with a huge stack in my lounge.

I love it when people recommend books, especially when they know you well enough to suggest the right kind of books. I love sitting down with a recommended book, and thinking, “Yes, this is a brilliant read, I’m glad she told me!” It’s easy to stay in the corner of a particular genre unless somebody points out other books you might enjoy. I don’t mean change genre necessarily, but other authors on the same shelf that are worth reading.

I would love to hear where you find books, how you expand your interests and how you decide to go along with somebody’s suggestion, for this whole writing malarkey is new territory to me, so any ideas are welcome!



Maressa Mortimer is Dutch but lives in the beautiful Cotswolds, England with her husband and four (adopted) children. Maressa is a homeschool mum as well as a pastor’s wife, so her writing has to be done in the evening when peace and quiet descend on the house once more. She loves writing Christian fiction, as it’s a great way to explore faith in daily life. Because of her interest in writing, Maressa is part of a brand new book coming out September 2021, Creativity Matters: Find Your Passion For Writing.

Her debut novel, Sapphire Beach, was published in December 2019, and her first self published novel, Walled City, came out in December 2020, followed by Viking Ferry, a novella. Beyond the Hills is the second book in the Elabi Chronicles, and was released on June 18th 2021. All of Maressa’s books are available from her website, www.vicarioushome.com, Amazon or local bookshops.

Comments

Reb MacRath said…
Great post. My TBR stack seems to be organic--one book leading me to another in my study of Latin lit. Or I'm forever checking the opening pages of new mysteries on Amazon...buying almost anything that can hook me in five pages.
Latin Lit sounds intriguing...The Amazon suggestion is great, thank you!
Dawn said…
sigh. The TBR pile is growing and it's taking me months to read just one... but hey, ho - they'll all still be there for the rainy day. I have lots of recommended books and lots written by wonderful people I now know (Maressa, Joy...) but I also work in a charity shop...
Charity are great places for books!
Ruth Leigh said…
This is right up my street, Maressa! Since I started writing fiction last year, my reading has dropped dramatically. I could easily read 5-6 books in a week left to myself, but life gets in the way. Charity shops, bookshops, gifts - anywhere books are is wonderful. I love mine, and acquire them constantly. It's an addiction and I don't want to get cured!
Wendy H. Jones said…
What a fab week we had, especially the acquiring of books. I love the stack of books I left the Cotswolds with as well.
Peter Leyland said…
Hi Maressa

I liked your post. Hay-on-Wye is one of my favourite places and Murder and Mayhem took six copies of my self-published book, The Detective in Fiction. They paid me and I hope they sold them on!

I am now finding Twitter to be a great place to find book recommendations. Sam Mills's The Fragments of My Father, which I reviewed on here, came from there and I have now joined her book group called Carers First which discusses a book chosen by the group each month. Last one was My Cousin Rachel.
Thank you, Ruth and Wendy! Thank you, Peter, I love that they took your books! Thanks for the recommendations too.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

This one wild and precious life... reviewed by Katherine Roberts