Reviews by Allison Symes

Image Credit:  All images created in Book Brush using Pixabay photos.

I like reviews. I write them reasonably regularly (mainly on books) and I use them as an indicator of whether I’m likely to enjoy a “product” or not for everything from groceries to books I’ve been recommended to read.

It doesn’t mean reviews are always right of course but I find them a useful general guide. If everybody loathes something, there is usually a good reason for it.

Now with my writing hat on, I find obtaining reviews difficult as most authors do and I refuse to go down the paid-for review route. Not very ethical to my mind. I want a review to be honest and not to be “bought”. (Also smacks of desperation to me but that’s another matter. I would far rather have fewer reviews honestly obtained).

I recently received a one star review for my second flash fiction collection, Tripping the Flash Fantastic. Now ironically part of me is pleased about this. Every author gets these. It kind of shows you have put your head over the parapet and what comes back at you is bound to not always be nice. Fair enough.

What I have found irritating though was there was no comment with that review. So I have no idea if it was from a troll (reasonably likely), a random bot (equally likely), or a genuine reader who didn’t like my latest. Had it been the latter, an odd comment as to why would have been useful.

Now I have no problem with the idea you can’t please all of the people all of the time. Also tastes in books are subjective but reviews as to why something works for someone or why it doesn’t for them - well both of these things are useful.

So how have you found obtaining reviews as tricky as I have? What do you look for in a review?
I want some indication of X liked or disliked this because….

I also don’t understand why some readers are reluctant to leave reviews. It’s not as if reviews have to be long. The best ones are often only one or two lines long. And most authors, including me, do make it  clear that a review is one great way for a reader to help a writer. So why not do it? I know I’m preaching to the converted here but any thoughts on how to persuade readers to review?

Of course one of the best things a writer can do to support colleagues is to write reviews themselves. I only review something I’ve read and that I know I’m likely to like. 

I don’t believe in hatchet jobs (as I feel they say so much more about the reviewer than the book being reviewed). So I will turn down any request for a review where I feel I couldn’t make a reasonable job of it. It’s not fair to review something I feel I know I’m likely to dislike. Tastes do differ after all. 

So over to you then. Do you have a reviews policy? What is your favourite review of your own work? Have you been able to use quotes from reviews in your marketing? (I do every so often).

Comments

Joy Margetts said…
Great blog. I didn't realise just how much reviews meant to a writer until I was published. Now I am much more pro-active in reviewing other writer's work, but like you I will not agree to read/review a work if I don't think I can be honestly positive about it!
Allison Symes said…
Thanks, Joy. Reviews didn't really come into my personal orbit until I had work out there. Funny that! And yes reviewing others' work is important. We are a community, not rivals, after all.
Wendy H. Jones said…
I love this blog. I feel getting reviews is the single most difficult part of the writing process.
Allison Symes said…
Thanks, Wendy. The one comfort I take here is that all writers find getting reviews difficult. There is something in knowing it's not just me!

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Never Mind the Author Workshops, What Shall I Wear on World Book Day 2024? wonders Griselda Heppel

How to Live with the End in Mind: Wendy Mitchell’s Choice -- by Julia Jones

Brain on a Train -- Umberto Tosi

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris