Eye Eye! -- RUTH LEIGH

Today I’m being silly. My blog is the equivalent of an unexpected cream horn, or a Fruit Shrewsbury with a nice cup of tea, or a toasted cheese sandwich with home made chutney. Something which I trust will give you a warm glow and a bit of a chuckle in the face of increasingly worrying news on the world stage. 

 

I can absolutely guarantee that you will not learn anything about writing technique or the Oxford Comma or marketing strategies for the self-published, or anything else about which we writers often pontificate. I am simply going to share some Funny Stuff with you. 

You’re welcome.

This blog is coming to you from the Palace of Creativity (see photo), my lovely writing studio in the garden. I share the Palace with an elderly armchair for visitors, a bookcase full of research volumes, whiteboards with my 'To Do' lists written upon them and two neat piles of boxes containing my books, The Diary of Isabella M Smugge and The Trials of Isabella M Smugge. Now they’re doing no one any good sitting here with me in the Palace. They need to get out there and find new homes. I get a steady stream of orders from eager Smugge-ers, but as I am now a full-time writer, I have taken the bull by the horns and booked myself on to a number of events around East Anglia this year. 

Last week, Mr Leigh and I attended a craft fair on the outskirts of Ipswich. We sold some books, made some new friends and networked like crazy people.  Yesterday, we were at Eye Town Hall, and again, it was a most successful day. 

Which brings me to the point of this blog.

Eye. What a great name for a town. For those of you who aren’t familiar with it, it’s located close to the border with Norfolk. It’s got a ruined eleventh century castle, more listed buildings than Lavenham (and believe me, that’s saying something), a Grade One listed parish church and lots of little independent shops. Its name is thought to come from the Old English word for “land by water.”


That being so, having a town like Eye up the road tickled my creative fancy. Mr Leigh and I amused ourselves by working out what the shops on the High Street should be called. It was a rich vein of creativity which took us through the set up (humping a huge box of books and props up the steps of the imposing Town Hall) to the quiet bits in between chatting and selling books. 

Here then is Eye High Street, as imagined by us, shop by shop.

Optician. Eye Eye

Wedding dress shop. Eye Do

Greengrocers. Eye Pod

Stationers. Eye Pad

Ferry Company. Eye Liner

Posh art gallery. Eye Brow

Car show room. Eye Kia

Sweet shop. Eye Candy

Record shop. Eye Tunes

Dominatrix (if there is one. I have no proof). Eye Lash

Outerwear emporium. Eye Mac

Telephone exchange. Eye Phone

Shop selling playing cards. Eye Deal

Game butcher. Eye Deer

The Laundrette. Eye Wash

The local solicitor. Eye Will

The tea rooms. Eye Tea

Those were all the ones we could come up with, but I’d love to hear your ideas (or Eye Deers).

100% silly today, but sometimes we need to take five minutes to remember what it is that makes us human and to have a laugh. I hope this made you chuckle.

Eye Did.

Images by Pixabay

Ruth is a novelist and freelance writer. She is married with three children, one husband, assorted poultry and a kitten. She is the author of “The Diary of Isabella M Smugge”, “The Trials of Isabella M Smugge” and is currently writing “The Continued Times of Isabella M Smugge”. She writes for a number of small businesses and charities, reviews books for Reading Between the Lines and blogs at ruthleighwrites.co.uk. You can find her on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and TikTok at @ruthleighwrites and at her website, www.ruthleighwrites.co.uk.

Comments

Reb MacRath said…
Eye think this is one of your most delightful posts.
Ruth Leigh said…
Thanks Reb! Eye I am most grateful for your kind comments
Sarah said…
Wonderful words, and a mooch round a local area, gathering information can only come in handy later 😉

Shop selling Roman antiques- Eye Claudius 👁
Ruth Leigh said…
Both the event and the mooching were most entertaining. That's a good one! We didn't think of that
Bill Kirton said…
Thanks, Ruth, and surely there must be a local slasher video shop - Eye Scream.
Ruth Leigh said…
Eye Scream! Of course. We were trying to work out what it would be and the best we could come up with was a kid's soft play area with steep slides. That's much better. Mr Leigh also came up with the electricians - Eye Sockets - and the timber merchant - Eye Wood - after the blog was written!

Keep those comments coming, folks. You are giving me a giggle.
Aggie C said…
Toy shop: Eye Dolatry
Ruth Leigh said…
Thanks Allison!
Ruth Leigh said…
Oh Sue. That's terribly good!
Joy Margetts said…
Oh that is just what I needed today. Well done my lovely for making me giggle. How about the Private Investigators -Eye Glass?
Ruth Leigh said…
Our friends and I carried on with the Eye jokes well into the afternoon. We did come up with PI who we decided would be Eye Shadow, keeping tabs on Eye Con, the local swindler. Eye Glass sells elegant homeware, including champagne flute and wine receptacles
Peter Leyland said…
Thanks for lifting the spirits in these tough times Ruth.
Ruth Leigh said…
I felt it was needed, Peter.
Jenny Sanders said…
Eye enjoyed all of those; thank you! I think the estate agent should perhaps be Eye Land.
Ruth Leigh said…
Eye Land! Very good. We didn't think of that one

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

This one wild and precious life... reviewed by Katherine Roberts