The Reader in My Head -- by Sarah Nicholson

 

Image by Vinzent Weinbeer from Pixabay
I’m a great fan of audio books. I’ve been a member of Audible since a month long stay in hospital at the end of 2018 and I’ve had a story on the go ever since.

Listening to stories on long car journeys goes back even further. When the boys were small, we borrowed story cassettes from the local library for our trips up and down the A1 visiting family.

We were particularly fond of the Diamond Brother books by Anthony Horowitz. Then progressed to his Alex Rider stories (at the same time as we made the technological leap from cassettes to CDs) which made the miles fly by. When my son was home from university at Christmas, we watched series 1 and 2 of the new TV adaptation. I only had a vague recollection of the storyline even though the general plot is the same one I heard years ago.

“Can’t you remember that bit?” my now grown-up son asks almost indignantly.

He has the advantage that he has also read the books. I am disadvantaged as I was driving whilst listening and that does require a bit more multi-tasking effort.

Audio books are a marvellous way of listening to a great story at the same time as doing something else more mindless, ironing, washing up, travelling or another of my favourites, something to listen to in the middle of the night when I can’t sleep but my eyes are too tired to read.

It usually doesn’t take long before I drift off again, as long as I set the timer for ten to fifteen minutes, I know I won’t miss too much or have to skip back too many minutes the next night.

My mum is the exact opposite, once she presses play and the story starts running, she can listen for an hour and be no nearer nodding off. In fact, she is even more wide awake as she has become more involved with the story.

But for all the joys an audio book brings there are for me, at this moment in time, two main problems.

The biggest issue is narrator, nine times out of ten this is spot on.

Some actors could read the telephone directory and it would sound mellifluous, I will admit to listening to David Tennant reading War of the Worlds more than once just as a soporific back drop to a sleepless night, I know the story well enough to dip in and out.

But my current audible delight is narrated by an Australian actor with a whiny twang to her accent. I’m persevering but at the start it was a struggle, especially as it’s a long book with many characters to remember. (You can try and guess what it might be but I’m giving nothing else away.)

In contrast I recently finished listening to was A Narrow Door by Joanne Harris, read by Alex Kingston (River Song in Doctor Who) and Steven Pacey (I had to Google him, he was Tarrant in Blakes 7, and I can’t remember now if he was a character I adored or loathed). Each narrated separate chapters from different point of view.

From Joanne Harris's Facebook page

It was pure enjoyment from start to finish as their voices blended together telling a differing perspective of events spanning several years. I never got lost who was speaking or where we were in the plot.

When I finished that I tried to listen to something else, also with two different points of view but with only one narrator (who also happened to be the author) and I confess I soon got confused and gave up. I might be tempted with a physical book if I spot it in the library so I can create my own voices in my head.

The other problem with audio books, it is difficult to flick back a few pages or right to the start to remind yourself who is who or what happened in chapter 1. 

A bicycle was mentioned but what happened to it because there has just been another reference to it - yes I did actually go to the trouble of finding chapter one to re-listen to in this instance but it's just not as easy as sticking your bookmark in the page you are up to and flicking back to scan for the relevant word and re-read the pertinent sentence of two! 

But my whinging is really a #FirstWorldProblem when many people rely on the spoken word. My Nana was one such person who enjoyed her talking books and newspapers. She wasn’t totally blind but as the years passed her macular degeneration deteriorated to the extent that reading text became too difficult.

We have much to be grateful there are so many ways to enjoy stories, reading and listening, even watching dramatic adaptation of novels on the stage or screen.

Telling tales around a camp fire is how storytelling first began long before the masses could read and write so in many ways audible stories just take us back to how it was in the beginning.

But my one piece of advice is - to get the most enjoyment, find a reader you want to allow in your head!


Comments

I enjoyed this post very much. I've only got to know audiobooks quite recently - after I retired I found myself dropping off to sleep after lunch, so I have ruthlessly put a stop to this by doing knitting or crochet projects while listening to audiobooks at that time of day.
One of the early ones I listened to was 'The Octopus Man' narrated by Johnny Flynn, who is an actor and singer with a lovely voice, a pleasure to listen to. I'm working through the Ashes of London series at the moment - the narrator (I think his name is Leighton Pugh) is just right for these in my opinion.
Sometimes I find I can get through longer, more complex books, as in the case if these mentioned above, by listening to them rather than reading, and sometimes they still seem too long (the second of Richard Osman's recent books fell into this category for some reason).
Griselda Heppel said…
I don't listen to audio books and I know I'm missing out but your post confirmed the two reasons I don't:

1. Hopeless listening while driving as I need to concentrate on the road and miss whole chunks
2. If I listen while resting, say, I'm off to sleep in 10 minutes. In fact I often use an Archer's 15 minute episode to send me to sleep, if I need a nap. I'd hate to waste an audio book that way!

I know some people listen to audio books on headphones when out walking - but then your mind is filled with the story and you simply don't see/hear your surroundings, which spoils the point of a walk, I reckon. Never having got far with audio books, I haven't had your annoying narrator problem, though I sympathise!
Susan Price said…
A good friend kept urging me to try audio books. We both love Pratchett so, on her advice, I tried 'Monstrous Regiment.' On the plus side, I did thoroughly enjoy listening. But, like Griselda, I kept dropping off to sleep (well, I was in bed.) I hated the fact that there was no easy way to find the place where I'd stopped listening and started snoring. The winding backwards and forwards became really tedious.

I also agree with Griselda about driving or walking while listening. No! On the whole, I have to say I prefer reading. Maybe I'm a stick in the mud, but there it is.
Peter Leyland said…
I've never got into audio books Sarah, probably because my hearing is so poor, but I know people who do and they really love them. This was a very interesting post and it definitely would have sold the idea to me had I been more receptive to it.
Ruth Leigh said…
We used to listen to Alan Bennett reading his own works on long drives through Europe. I'll never forget coming over the top of the hill into Cadaques as we waited, breathless with anticipation, to find out why the Ransomes had had the contents of their entire flat stolen in "The Clothes They Stood Up In." I agree about voices. You'd go a long way to beat Juliet Stephenson.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

This one wild and precious life... reviewed by Katherine Roberts