Writing is pointless: N M Browne

 Sometimes writing fiction feels pointless. Sometimes what is going on in real life eclipses fiction, so that making things up can feel like the most cowardly kind of escapism, a failure to engage with reality. 

In Covid lockdown, writing poetry about the pandemic made sense because, Downing St apart, we were all in it together. 

Not all of us suffered, but we all feared suffering and for a time, when it seemed that the virus was as likely to affect all of us equally, that seemed to legitimise writing about it. It was everyone's story even for those of us not on the front line or in hospital. I felt entitled, obliged even to write about it. 

   The war in Ukraine feels different. I don't know where the line lies between imaginative empathy and exploitation.  This is not my suffering and dipping my metaphorical pen in someone else's blood feels inappropriate. Let those who are living it, write it, record it, rework it into art or poetry or propaganda as they see fit. Who else has the right? And yet when the horrors have invaded our homes through our screens and twitter feeds, what else is a subject for our stories? In the face of this story all others shrink and pale.

 What is striking, however, is the way the devastating events of the last few weeks have proved, should proof be needed, the life and death power of story. The Ukraine war exemplifies the urgent need to create  narrative,  to give shape to the chaos, to make madness make sense and to make the world care. Putin is busily selling the notion of an invasion as a liberation, casting the lead actors from an old familiar script, good guys v Nazis. The Ukrainian president retells his nation's story with reminders of other nations' crises, his requests for help couched in language that reminds us of our own past: the attack of 9/11, Churchill's promise to fight our enemies on the beaches. And it is Zelensky's own story of the comic turned war leader, the hero turning down lifts for weapons that is already taking on a mythic quality: Ukraine, the bully's victim re enacting David v Goliath for the modern day. A story told in film clips and vlogs, in pithy phrases and passionate advocacy that has changed the way the world sees Ukraine. 

It is not our story but the images and messages that have made it through to us have melded Ukraine's story with our own past, echoed our present, and frightened us with the prospect of a future like theirs so that this struggle has become part of our own story as other recent and ongoing terrible conflicts have not. 

Sometimes writing feels pointless. I struggle to reconnect with my WIP and yet I cannot but acknowledge that nothing is more important: story telling, literally, shapes our world.


Comments

Peter Leyland said…
A very thoughtful post Nicky. When I told someone that I was concerned about the war they said, well there have been other wars just as bloody, and they were right, but somehow this one seems different for all those reasons that you have given in your excellent summary of what is happening. Writers and readers I think need to make sense of it with all the powers that they have and I think that any contribution that one can make in this way will add to our understanding of the present horror. Well done for expressing what is so difficult to say, from Peter L.
I think many world events such as wars and revolutions don't usually make any sense until afterwards. I realised this ages ago when watching a dramatisation of a story which I think may have been by Somerset Maugham about the Russian Revolution. People just milled around the streets of St Petersburg, not really knowing what they were doing or even in some cases which side they were supposed to be on, and it just looked like chaos. Maybe revolutions are more likely to be like this than wars are.
Although there's no doubt the Russians are the aggressors in Ukraine, there seems to be a lot of doubt about how much support the Russian leadership has and what the eventual outcome will be. And in some ways the involvement of individuals from outside Ukraine makes me think of a kind of Spanish Civil War situation, which adds an extra element of unpredictability.
Personally I feel it would only be possible to write about some small aspect of this war - focussing on individuals in some way.
Elizabeth Kay said…
I am finding this war far harder to witness than any other, probably because my father was born near Lviv and I have visted it many times. I have wonderful memories of the children's writers conference there at the Ivan Franko University in, I think, 2007. I flew to Krakow, where I have relatives, and travelled there by train on the same line the refugees are now using, via Przemysl. I recognise the stations, the trains. I've done the train journey to Kyiv from Lviv, I know the places that I see on the news.This war is personal. But I can't write about it, in much the same way my father couldn't talk about the way the Russians deported him to Siberia in 1939. He painted, though. Those paintings are in the Imperial War Museum - Google Feliks Krzewinski and you'll find them. My father never lost his distrust of Russia, and I never did either.
Nicky said…
It is terrible. I'll look your father out Liz. My father was also a painter.
Ruth Leigh said…
It's a good question. What can we writers do while such bloody conflict rages? The pen is mightier than the sword, but in the face of such wicked cruelty, it's hard to know the right things to say.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

This one wild and precious life... reviewed by Katherine Roberts