The same but different by Joy Margetts

 

I am still relatively new to the whole book marketing thing. I’m doing my best with varied results. I’m taking advice and trying to respond to it. This has included trying to build an email subscriber list, writing a personal blog, guest blogging, and of course being a ‘presence’ on Social Media. I have even given TikTok a try - jury is out for me so far, as to how useful it will be in actually generating interest in my books, but it is early days.

One thing I have heard over and over is ‘What is your unique selling point?’ Or, what does my writing offer that people are actually looking for? And that if I ‘find my audience’ then the sales will come. My problem has been that my books fall into a very unique genre and I’ve found it very hard to find an audience for them. They are fiction but explicitly Christian. They are historical fiction but are neither romance nor murder mystery, nor are they adventure stories. There is little to no blood and gore, and definitely no explicit sex. They are simple stories of ordinary people finding hope and redemption through their experiences, and the relationships they form on the way. Against an authentic historic background. So how do I find my audience?

One piece of advice I heard recently, I found really helpful. That is to compare my book to other, perhaps more well- known books that are similar to mine. And then to highlight the differences. This will help to define exactly what my unique selling point is. It might be a way of also finding my unique audience. After all – the people who like their books might like mine? Well, it’s a dream scenario worth pursuing.

So I have chosen five books to compare with The Healing. You might know some of them. And for each I have highlighted how my books are similar and how they differ.

   The Cadfael series by Ellis Peters

Similar: set in a medieval monastic community and character driven

Difference: no murders

 

    
The Sons of Gwynedd by Edith Pargeter (also Ellis Peters)

Similar: set in medieval Wales, and uses real historic characters and facts to flesh out the story

Difference: action does not revolve around fictionalising or retelling known historical accounts

 

   


   
Here be dragons by Sharon Penman

Similar: paints a believable picture of life in medieval Wales under the rule of Llewellyn the Great

Difference: a completely fictional story that only makes references to the great Prince (although he does appear briefly)

 

   


 
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

Similar: a redemptive story of a broken individual being healed and restored by the love of God

Difference: not based on a biblical story, but on my own story. Set in an earlier period of history

 

  The Shack by William Paul Young


Similar: based on my own experience of suffering and the revelations about God and His character that got me through that journey

Difference: set in the past – in medieval Wales. Not so challenging as to fundamental beliefs about God.

 



Perhaps this is an exercise you could do? Or perhaps you have already done similar. Do you know how to describe your books to others using other books as examples?

 I would also love to know - if you have found your audience - how did you do it? 😊

 

Comments

Ruth Leigh said…
What a fascinating post, Joy! And you've chosen 5 books that really make your point well. It's hard to find your audience. I think I cover quite a wide range but as I always said, you're a resource and you reach people I can't
Joy Margetts said…
Thanks Ruth. I'd love to know which books you would compare yours to!
Wendy H. Jones said…
What a great insight. Thank you.
Jenny Sanders said…
What a great idea, Joy. You've certainly given me food for thought there; thank you.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

Got Some Book Tokens? -- by Susan Price