A Gathering of Gargoyles and the Boring Voice -- Misha Herwin

Not I hasten to say the author’s voice. At least I hope not. What I’m referring to is the Word programme that reads back your work. For someone like me who types, writes and thinks fast making use of the boring voice is a vital part of the editing process of my newest book, “A Gathering of Gargoyles.”

As she reads on in her monotonous way I can pick up where I have missed out an “a” “to” or “the” and even the odd verb or two. Checking for this on screen, or even on paper, the mind reads in the absent word and I suspect that most readers would do the same. Which makes me wonder whether subjecting myself to the boring voice is really necessary. Except of course it is as the thought of publishing a book I know to be less than perfect in this respect is not something I could contemplate.

The trouble is that it takes so much time and it is easy to let the mind wander. I have done a whole chapter only to realise I haven’t really listened and have to go back to the beginning. The solution is to resist doing it all in one go and work in short sharp bursts.

There must be writers out there who do not need to go through the process. If there are I wish they would share their secret. Do they have a brilliant knowledge of punctuation and grammar? Do they type slowly? Re-read their work after every paragraph? Whatever they do, it can’t be the way that I work and the way that I work is all bound up with the creative process.

Once the idea comes to mind, then it has to be put down on the page. Captured before it flies away. When the first draft is finished, then I start on the next, but this tends to be mostly looking at narrative and character. Style comes later, when I read my work out loud. Even this stage however does not pick out all the repetitive sentences or over use of words and so to the boring voice…

Much as I dread the process, it not only picks up errors but by making me focus on each word prompts me to think how often I have used a particular expression. In the current WIP,  “A Gathering of Gargoyles,” there was a lot of nodding and glancing. I have also had to disentangle long and complex sentences which has made my writing more precise and impactful.

All in all it has to be done, though there is a great sense of relief when it is over and the next stage of getting the book out can begin. 



Comments

Peter Leyland said…
A fascinating description of the process of composition that you use Misha. My non-fiction essays are a creative burst followed by chopping, changing, moving, editing, deleting and so on until I print a first draft. I hope the punctuation takes care of itself, although my last reviewer criticised my use of commas.

Reading what you do reminded me of how Henry James would dictate his work to an amanuensis and then get him to read it back. He was Scottish!

An enjoyable post and good luck with progress on The Gathering of Gargoyles - great title.
Umberto Tosi said…
I attest to audio "read-back" as an effective tool for proofing (if not copy editing) my work. Word's app doesn't have to be as monotonous as it is. Microsoft ought to show us more respect. There's no reason why the developers can't make the read-back more nuances and listenable. Take for example many of the computer-generated voices on customer help lines nowadays. I still prefer a live human assistant, but I've recently noticed how the CG's have become much more humanlike. Car GPS Navigation System offers a variety of voices - female and male, even celebrity personalities. Lucky for my one of my daughters - who teaches literature and is a writer herself -- often volunteers to read drafts back to me -- providing an extra pair of eyes and good company.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

This one wild and precious life... reviewed by Katherine Roberts