Planning Ahead With Social Media Marketing - Lynne Garner

After a long time away from social media I’ve started to tweet and Facebook again. Since I last used social media as a marketing tool things have moved on and I discovered: 
  • Images on twitter are ‘the’ thing
  • National and international celebration days allow you to plan ahead and use hashtag terms you know will be trending
So last month I researched dates I could use to market my short story collections (Anansi - Brer Rabbit and Coyote). During my research I found Awareness Days and Days of the Year which contain a list of international and national days. 

I then needed to know what the ideal size for Twitter and Facebook images was. So I researched into this and during my research I came across this blog post, which breaks down the page layouts and sizes for Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Youtube. Using this I created a template for Twitter images (1024 pix x 512 pix – although you can use other sizes) and a template for Facebook images (398 pix x 296 pix – again you can use alternate sizes) using Photoshop. However if you don’t have access to this or a similar software you can use Canva, which enables you to create images with text for social media use.      

My next step was to create short links for my books and relevant websites. For this I used Bitly, which has greatly improved since I used it last. You can now track how many times a link has been followed, which is very useful.

Having the information I started to create images to compliment my tweets and Facebook updates. Last month I chose:




At the moment I’m working on images and ideas for: 

  • National Gardening Week (11th – 17th April)
  • International Mother Earth Day (22nd April)
  • World Book Night (23rd April)
  • National Share a Story Month (1st – 31st May)    

This research and tweeting appears be paying off because my sales of physical books for March was the highest it’s been for ten months. So I plan to continue with this process. I realise that over the next few months I’ll have to put in quite a bit of work but it will mean I’ll be ready for these events when they come around again next year.

I hope you've found this post helpful and if you have any insights please do share.

Regards

Lynne

Couldn't resist sharing - loved this quote as it gave me an
excuse to use a photo of my best four-legged friend  (Tasha)
P.S.
Please do like our Facebook page and if you use Twitter please follow Me - Anansi The Trickster Spider - Coyote - Brer Rabbit - The Tricksters (we always follow back).

P.P.S. Having enjoyed the process so much I'm now out and about taking images I can use for future celebration days (so I don't have to worry about copyright issues).I also plan to offer my photography and photoshop skills to authors who also wish to use images to make their tweets stand out.   

Comments

Wendy H. Jones said…
Great post and really helpfu. Thanks for the info
Umberto Tosi said…
Thank you for this most informative and useful post, Lynne. I've bookmarked lots of leads you've provided and look ahead to getting into researching this further to suit my plans for various upcoming projects, including my sequel to Ophelia Rising. Good luck with the short story collections!
AliB said…
How useful! I'll come back to this one.
One other tip is that if you use Hootsuite (combines Twitter and other sites in one interface) it will shorten links for you - handy! Ali B
Lynne Garner said…
AliB - thanks for the tip. Looking into Hootsuite is on my list of things to do.
Lydia Bennet said…
Thanks Lynne, very useful. I gave up using Bitly as twitter shortens links automatically now but it might be worth another look. Will look up Canva too.
Fran B said…
V helpful. Thanks. My first novel has its ending and denouement on New Year's Eve in Scolland so I used all the culture and history of 'Hogmanay' to remind folks of it and had excerpt on my FB author page on 30th Dec - 2nd Jan. It went down well.
julia jones said…
Thank you Lynne, that's typically generous of you
Lynne Garner said…
My pleasure folks. I hope you find it useful.
Anonymous said…
Your posts are always full of wonderful, practical tips and insights, Lynne - thank you so much!

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

How to Live with the End in Mind: Wendy Mitchell’s Choice -- by Julia Jones

Never Mind the Author Workshops, What Shall I Wear on World Book Day 2024? wonders Griselda Heppel

Close Reading | Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose | Karen Kao

Brain on a Train -- Umberto Tosi