Shedless still I prattle: N M Browne



 The image of the writer tends to be that of the solitary genius. Maybe George Bernard Shaw springs to mind in his shed that moved to follow the sun? 

   These embodied stereotypes are often male, hard drinking, melancholic and usually gifted in ways that sets them apart from lesser mortals: excuses are made for horrible behaviour, faults are fondly reframed as idiosyncrasies.

  As a female writer, who is not a solitary genius, or indeed a genius at all, I am prone to wondering (usually when I should be writing) if this stereotype holds me back. My red wine intake is perhaps a little too high but I’m generally an optimistic soul and my idiosyncrasies are all reframed as faults. 

  When we write it is just us and the words on the page, but I don’t know if that makes the experience unique or even that solitary. We are often not alone in person. Writers I know write in coffee shops, on kitchen tables around the detritus of family life, on packed trains and in little slivers of time squeezed between other paid work and the business of caring for other people. 

      Maybe it is harder to be a genius under these circumstances. It is certainly harder to be forgiven for even moderate tantrums. We have to write and think fast to be creative in these gaps of time, in the cracks between doing other things. 

     These days it is even hard to be solitary in your own head: everyone’s a critic. Every website wants to advise you, universities want to teach you, everyone is on the creative writing act, invading not just your writing space but the quietness in your head.

    There is an upside. There is no writing problem that a whole array of people aren’t all too ready to help you solve. It is great to have friends and mentors, critique groups or informal support groups, reading groups and lets-get-drunk-and-moan-about-our-books groups, but the downside is the risk of importing all this chatter into the silence that we all need. It is easy to be so busy being a very un-solitary modern writer that the actual words- on-the-page-writing and the engaged, engrossing cover to cover reading  barely occurs at all. 

   I don’t envy these great men their writing sheds or even their genius (or not much) I do envy them the great privilege of in-their-own- head solitude. Without that mental space none of us can create: it’s the blank screen on which our imaginations project our own weird, unique ideas, our own private portals to other worlds. I’d rather have that than a shed – even one that follows the sun.

Comments

Kirsten Bett said…
I just woke up from a nightmare involving a huge black spider, so no I love writing in the comfort of my home but I do like being alone on my walks in the woods and along the canal. What works for me, really, is a daily goal. Having said that I am 600 behind so I better get cracking... Thanks for your post, it got me thinking.
Sandra Horn said…
Oh yes! Thank you, Nicky.
Joy Margetts said…
Great post. I think I had a difficult time accepting the title 'writer' because I didn't fit the stereotypical solitary genius mold. I still don't , but I'm definitely a writer! And so happy I don't have to do it alone - with all the encouragers out there. BUT when I am writing, wherever I might be sitting, then I am completely alone, in the world of my characters, and have been known to ignore everybody and totally forget any mundane responsibilities I might have. SO perhaps I do sort of fit. My mind is my writing shed???
Umberto Tosi said…
Enjoyed this post. It took me an inordinately long time to figure out the genius can never be me, but, if I'm lucky, a puckish messenger who may show up if I keep making space for that to happen -- perhaps in ways eccentric that will seem eccentric, but -- like sheds -- are only incidental. Whatever works. Call it what you will.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath

Dress to Impress your readers! by Elizabeth Kay

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.