Why I Love the Short Fictional Forms by Allison Symes

Image Credit:  Images created in Book Brush using Pixabay photos.

I write short stories (1500 to 2000 words usually) and flash fiction. Flash has taught me never to fear  editing. When you’re working to a tight word count (1000 words maximum for flash), you don’t fear cutting adjectives, wasted words such as that, very, and actually, or of thinking of better ways of wording things.

I like the impact of short fiction. You get the undiluted “punch in the gut” effect quickly (and even more so with flash fiction). Inventing characters is my favourite aspect of storytelling so writing the short form means I must do that all the time. Win-win there, then.

I like being able to write a story, edit it, get it out there, move on to the next story, and just keep that going. Writing the short form has challenged me to write and submit work regularly. It has also got me into the habit of writing to deadlines and it is encouraging to see there are plenty of short form competitions.  

I love reading short fiction and deliberately read collections in between reading novels, treating this almost like an appetiser before my next big “meal” of a novel.

I wish short story and flash anthologies were as valued as novels are though the joys of the indie press do help get more of these books out there.

Flash fiction has grown in the last decade, which I’m convinced has been fuelled by people reading more on screen. Books have to compete with every other form of entertainment so books on screen at least means there can be a literary “bent” to digital entertainment.

My hope has always been the shorter fictional forms can draw in the reluctant reader. With flash especially, I’m not asking the reader to commit to too much in one go. What you want is the reluctant reader, having discovered the world of the short forms, to go on to read the longer forms. They’re highly unlikely to start their reading “career” by reading the longer works. 

I’ve found reading a couple of flash pieces at book events has led to sales. The reading doesn’t take  long, demonstrates what flash is, and I’m engaging with potential readers. Given the world of short stories is often the way into publishing for many writers, I feel it is a form that should be celebrated more. I would like to see big publishers, as well as smaller ones, bring out more story collections (and not just by the big names).

I’ve contributed to a number of anthologies over the years and it is great to see the different styles of the various authors in them. These books make a great way to introduce people to many authors’ work in one go and writers and readers gain there. For those authors who write the longer works as well, their short forms of fiction can make an excellent taster for their other writing.

Let’s hear it for the short forms!


Comments

Peter Leyland said…
That's a really interesting piece Allison. One of my first blogs on here a couple of years ago was 'How I Discovered Flash Fiction'. One of the AE contributors had published a book of short pieces set in Syria and I got hold of it while teaching a short story course. This got me interested in the form.

I wonder how much size matters to readers of books? I am often amazed at the size of popular novels that are read by people these days, particularly crime novels. I am also researching on why people read fiction and what benefits they get.

I trace my own liking to my childhood. Also I used to love reading stories by Bill Naughtom or Alan Sillitoe to middle school children in the hope that they would too.

Who know? but you may well be right about shorter forms drawing in the reluctant reader.
Interesting point,Peter - huge crime novels - crime seems (regrettably) to be currently the most popular genre, next to fantasy. A point I have thought about more than once, as having something to say about the society in which we presently live. Ive always thought Flash Fiction would be very appealing to commuters (many come in on the bus from villages, here, and I've seen them with their Kindles!)as you can get the story read inside the time of your journey.

Allison Symes said…
Many thanks, Peter and Claire. A dear crime writing friend of mine describes flash as the perfect bus stop read for exactly the reasons you state, Claire. I once had a book signing session at my local railway station and it went down very well. People hopped on to the train with my book with them!

What also impressed me when I first found out about flash was that Radio 2 had a national 500 words competition for the schools. So that introduced children and their parents to the idea of flash fiction!

I suspect the popularity of crime is in a book the crime has to be solved. In life, alas, it often isn't.

I suspect the big books may well put some readers off, Peter. I mean you wouldn't start by reading War and Peace now! Well, I wouldn't...!

I would love to see the story collections given as much prominence as the novels though. Both are excellent and challenging forms, just in different ways.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath