Back on the Road Again -- RUTH LEIGH

If you’ve been paying attention, you’ll know that I became a full time writer on 1st January this year. It was terrifying and wonderful all at once. The minute I did it, my biggest client had an internal change around and stopped sending me work. “Never fear!” said I, looking for new and creative ways to encourage a few pennies to roll into my account. “I shall diversify!”

Ten and a half months since I took my leap, I’ve got a whole new selection of writing services to offer. I critique and polish other writers’ MSs. I give informal one to one workshops on marketing and social media (more formal workshops planned for next year). I have booked myself into craft fairs and events all over Suffolk, beginning in Kesgrave in March where I learned that people don’t necessarily realise that the person selling the books is the one that wrote them and ending with a mini Christmas market in my own village on 17th December. Since I started, I’ve sold 126 books, added to my following on all the social media platforms, met some wonderful people, put out some interesting content and learned any number of lessons. 

For your education and delectation, then, here are my top five takeaways for those wishing to exhibit their works: 

1.   Get there early. If the event is well-organised, the person running it will clock you as someone to use again. If it isn’t, you’ve got time to make order out of chaos.

2.    Make a note of everything you spend. Let’s say the pitch fee is £15, you spent a fiver on petrol getting there and you dropped £8.50 on two coffees and a large slice of lemon drizzle. If your book is priced at £9.99, you’ll need to sell 3 books to break even. This is important stuff which will be appearing on your tax return.

3.    Make friends with the other stall holders. This starts from the minute you pull into the car park. I smile charmingly at everyone I meet, hold doors open for those struggling with heavy boxes and offer assistance where required. Because why wouldn’t you? Once I’m set up (and Mr Leigh and I have it down to a fine art. Five minutes, tops) I go round to each stall, introduce myself, have a chat, follow them on Instagram and tell them what I do. I’m always the only writer there so I stand out. Seven months on from my first event, I know loads of lovely new people who I keep bumping into at other events and online. Also most of them have bought my book, which is excellent.

4.    Add value. Don’t sit glumly behind your table scrolling through your feed. Sit up straight. Look interested. Be ready to engage in lively conversation with potential buyers. They’re buying you as well as your product. Equally, try to avoid scaring them away with your caffeine-fuelled patter and mad, staring eyes.

5.    Even if you don’t sell a single, solitary book, do not be downcast. You have met new people who may buy a book next time. You have added to your followers, reach and engagement on social media. You had a day out with nice people and at the very least, you knocked back a cup of tea and a bun. Onwards and upwards!

 This year I’ve also been doing some schools work. I made friends with the librarian at my children’s high school, possibly the nicest, most enthusiastic woman in the known universe. I’ve been in twice to talk to the Year 7s and 8s and off the back of that, I travelled a little further afield to another local high school this week. Ours is large (290 children in each year) but as I splashed through the puddles en route to reception, I realised that this one was even bigger. The Head of English confirmed this as we met at the welcome desk. “We’ve got between 310-320 students in each year,” he said cheerfully, nobly hefting my enormous heavy box of books and props. “Shall I take you to the theatre?”

It was early and I was tired and possibly a little confused. While I love the footlights as much as the next woman, I wasn’t sure that now was the time. All became clear as he led me into a vast space with tiered seating rising up to the ceiling and AV equipment hanging from the rafters. It was HUGE! Like the O2 except perhaps not quite that vast. But big enough, I can tell you. 

Left alone in the echoing space to set out my stall, I had a moment of self-doubt. “What on earth are you doing, Ruth?” I asked myself. “300 or so 11 year olds on a wet Monday morning listening to some woman they’ve never met burbling on about writing. How’s that going to work?” 

Somehow, it did. They were a lively crowd and there was plenty of audience participation. Several times, I found myself raising my arm and bellowing, “Thank you, Year 7! OK! Thank you!” in true teacher style. At the end, I was surrounded by an excitable mob of short people, many of whom wished to buy my books. Lots of them have followed me on Instagram and TikTok which I take as a huge compliment. In a week which has been difficult and challenging, it was a very bright spot.


The diary is full running up to Christmas and I’m thinking about adding a gift wrapping service. As writers, we’re providing our potential readers with a fat-free, organic, free-range and entirely sustainable product and in these difficult times, that has to be a good thing.

 Ruth is a novelist and freelance writer, the author of “The Diary of Isabella M Smugge”, “The Trials of Isabella M Smugge” and “The Continued Times of Isabella M Smugge. She writes for a number of businesses and charities and blogs at ruthleighwrites.co.uk. She has abnormally narrow sinuses and a morbid fear of raw tomatoes, but has decided not to let this get in the way of a meaningful life. You can find her on Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and Twitter at ruthleighwrites and at her website, www.ruthleighwrites.co.uk.

 

Comments

Sarah said…
More wonderful words Ruth, and some great tips.
As you know I've got the lightbox now - just need the book to go with it.

And my lightbox will feature in my next Author Electric blog post - you really have stared a trend! xx
Ruth Leigh said…
I should be getting commission on those light boxes! They are such a great idea. You're halfway there - once that book is done you will be on fire! xx
Amanda Bedzrah said…
Such great tips. Thanks for sharing. I used to do lots of stalls when I sold homemade candles, not done any for my books.

I’d have to give it a try next year.
Ruth Leigh said…
You're welcome, Amanda! I have learned so much from others and I do like to share the love
Reb MacRath said…
Great post,Ruth. You're clearly on your way up.
Umberto Tosi said…
Congratulations, Ruth, and welcome to the clan!
Ruth Leigh said…
Thanks so much, Reb. It does feel that something has changed and shifted this week, and I love it. What could be more fun than making your living from writing and speaking?
Ruth Leigh said…
Thanks Umberto! I did love it and if you get 12 year old boys coming up to you afterwards and high fiving you, you must be doing something right.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

Author Newsletters by Allison Symes