Choose Your Boss, Your IQ or Your PQ---Reb MacRath

Say we all contain two sides--the Impractical and the Practical--and they're seldom evenly balanced. 

 

And they're never more out of whack than they are with writers.

From the get-go the pressure's on to give the P's the upper hand: good grades lead to better schools which pave the way to better homes, cars, marriages, credit scores, job advancement, etc. And the debates grow shorter and shorter between such staid P's and wild writerly I's like sexual adventure, wanderlust, wild living, bucking the Establishment, etc. From Byron to Pushkin to Hemingway to Mailer and on and on and on, wild and crazy role models call to us like Sirens. Self-destructive lifestyles still make for boffo Post Mortem book sales and movie tie-ins.








But the publishing industry's changed now. And more than ever IQ and PQ are on everybody's minds. Wild men and women are far less in demand. The powers that be demand higher IQs: media savvy, Facebook presence, fanatical convention attendance, elevator pitch flair, the ability to pucker with a smile while sucking up.

Survival and success in turn mandate an iron grip on such impracticalities as excessive enjoyment of FB and Twitter...travel...sex...streaming...All wastes of time to the button-down minds. But whoa. Hold on to your horses, please.

While I'll be the first to admit that a reduced PQ in my old drinking days set me back a decade, I'm not as quick as many are to call some pursuits Impractical.  For your consideration, I offer my study of Latin. 


I've taken to starting each morning with an hour's study of the Cambridge 4-volume Latin Course. Throughout the day, I'll steal time to draft-translate a couple of lines by a particular poet. This year I published a slender volume of short poems by Propertius. There's a limited audience for this, I knew. But I had a wonderful time and received positive feedback from academics I'd gifted. Currently, I'm at work on another little book--short epigrams by Martial. 

So what, you're right to ask. What has this to do with you? 

Nothing if your PQ squashes every whim or passion that don't translate to fame or cash. But I'm unconvinced that those pursuits really are impractical. For me, the 'crazy' impulse to home-study and translate Latin had been on my mind for decades. One famous writer mocked me, wondering who I thought I was. Again and again, I restarted my study...and stopped. It took so long to realize that nothing is less practical than going to one's grave with a passion that they lacked the nerve to fulfill.

I don't have a crystal ball. My translations may not catch or lead to college lectures. Even so, the daily bouts with this difficult language have been immensely rewarding--and are already translating to sharpened skills in my own writing.

And I think of  others who've wrestled with thoughts of their IQs and PQs.

Claude Bouchard, author of the bestselling Vigilante series, began devoting more quality time to his new grandkids.

Bill Kirton pulled the plug on his popular Jack Carston series, to write a series of demanding--and risky--historical novels.

Ken Follet, the best-selling thriller writer, drove his agent and publisher mad years ago by doing the least practical thing in the world: taking time to write a massive historical tome, The Pillars of the Earth.,

Owen Laukkanen, after writing a string of best-selling, well-reviewed thrillers, lost an agent and a publisher when he began devoting 'too much' of his time to rescue dogs and travel adventures. One day, when all of this comes together, OL will show the industry that he wasn't wasting his time.



And what about you? How have you fared in balancing your IQ and PQ? If the price has been high, is it worth it?


                                                ***********************



Welcome to MacRathWorld, if you like premium blends of mystery, action, and suspense. From Caesar's Rome to Seattle today, the twists fly at the speed of night. If you're unfamiliar with my work, I recommend starting with the new Seattle BOP mysteries. Here's the link to my AuthorPage on Amazon for a detailed look at the variety of 'rides' in my amusement park.


https://tinyurl.com/y3fdxo7q




Comments

Ruth Leigh said…
I love this, Reb! And it's always a slender volume, isn't it? I shall look forward to you publishing a triple decker of verse one of these days. Great stuff, most entertaining on a wet Friday morning.
Peter Leyland said…
Just reaching for the 'slender volume' Reb, which despite a massive overhaul of my inner sanctum/study is within reaching distance:

'Stop craving girls like mine who love turning men into road kill. Old or new, love the journey of true love each day.'

From the keeper of the gate.
Bill Kirton said…
Reb, my astonishment at your generosity in listing me along with real writers whom I read and admire prohibits any personal comment on my P or I ratings, but I’m happy to share with you an observation by a relatively notorious Latin speaker: Oderint dum metuant.
Reb MacRath said…
Thanks so much, Ruth. You've given me an idea I hope to pursue: a 'triple decker' omnibus when I have 3 slender volumes: by Propertius, Martial (in progress, and aa third, still undetermined Roman poet.
Reb MacRath said…
Peter, your interest and support really have sustained me. Thanks, with hopes the WIP on Martial interests and amuses you too.
Reb MacRath said…
Bill, I meant every word. For me, you're as real as writers get. The Latin quote was new to me. I'll tell you, that Caligula was one seriously silver-tongued devil.
ceebee308 said…
Thanks for the mention Reb, and to be clear, those twin BoyZ give me as much, if not more, than I give them so, perhaps I'm being selfish. ;) As for Follet, Pillars is likely the best novel I've ever read so, never mind what his agent and publisher thought.
Reb MacRath said…
Enlightened selfishness, Claude--at least imo--is the next best thing to selflessness. And I agree with you about Follet.
Sandra Horn said…
Hooray! More power to your unbothered-by-fame etc. impulses! I love the Propertius and look forward to more wandering off the usual track.
Reb MacRath said…
Thanks, Sandra. I will email you a few samples shortly of my WIP on Martial.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

Got Some Book Tokens? -- by Susan Price