The Most Enjoyable Book on Writing Since William Goldman's Adventures in the Screentrade -- Andrew Crofts

 "Blurb Your Enthusiasm: An A-Z of Literary Persuasion" by Louise Willder is the most entertaining book on writing I have read since William Goldman's "Adventures in the Screentrade", and it must be nearly forty years since I read that.

We all know that actually writing books is a piece of cake compared with trying to persuade people to buy and read them, and Louise Willder is a world-class expert when it comes to that part of the business. She is wildly enthusiastic about books of all types, and her enthusiasm is highly infectious. She is also a very funny writer, and this book has the same charm as Lynne Truss's "Eats, Shoots and Leaves", which I'm guessing I read about twenty years ago.

Books of this standard don't come along very often, so if reading and writing are your thing, don't miss it!


Comments

Umberto Tosi said…
I'll have to get this one! Thanks, Andrew.
Peter Leyland said…
I really enjoyed that Lynne Truss book Andrew and used it a lot in my teaching. I think I'll line up this Louise Willder one for Xmas! Thanks for the info.
This sounds as if it is well worth having.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath