A Far Cry from Malory Towers: Griselda Heppel muses on the subversive use of the Boarding School Story

The Fall of a Sparrow by 
Griselda Heppel (2021)

A friend who loved the eccentric boarding school setting of my recent children’s book, The Fall of a Sparrow, gave me a copy of another novel he’d enjoyed, also set in a boarding school. He was keen to know what I thought of it; I have to say I was riveted, though any similarity between my book and The Ruined Boys by Roy Fuller begins and ends with the setting.

The Ruined Boys 
by Roy Fuller (1959)
 


It’s fascinating how the same structure can be used to create imaginary worlds that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. 

 To begin with, The Ruined Boys is not a children’s book. Like David Copperfield, it’s told from the point of view of a child whose childhood has come to a cruel end with a change in family circumstances. His parents’ marriage break-up sends young Gerald Bracher to Seafold House, an austere, comfortless public school. Place and date are left vague but some time in the 1920s would be a good guess. As that coincides with my father’s schooling, I can only hope that Fuller’s imagination somewhat exaggerates the dehumanising effects of that era’s public school system. In fact it clearly does, as the urbane, sanctimonious headmaster’s rule over the neglected, poorly fed and housed boys is meant to symbolise a wider political and class system that is rotten to the core. Survival is entirely down to the ever-shifting balance of power, as older boys leave and younger ones move up the hierarchy, with senior boys given free rein to beat up juniors, while weaker, scholarly boys are scorned and bullied by pupils and masters alike. Awed by Mr Pemberton, the charismatic Head, Gerald initially accepts this system; then, gradually, his eyes are opened to the hypocrisy it is built on, and he sees Mr Pemberton for the small man - morally as well as physically - that he is.

Malory Towers by Enid Blyton (1946): a far cry from
Roy Fuller's The Ruined Boys. 
By http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book-details.php?id=253,
Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=31765146


A far cry from Enid Blyton’s Malory Towers then, and Elinor Brent-Dyer’s Chalet School. Far even from Kipling’s Stalky and Co, or Talbot Baines Reed’s Fifth Form at St Dominic’s - stories written at least 60 years before The Ruined Boys, in which the pupils at their traditional Victorian public schools have a lot more fun than those at Seafold House.

Stalky & Co
by Rudyard Kipling (1899) 
What struck me was The Ruined Boys’s similarity to another subversive use of the boarding school metaphor, perhaps the most famous in the last century: Lindsay Anderson’s film If.... 

Released in 1968, nine years after the publication of Fuller’s novel, the theme of If.... echoes that of The Ruined Boys so eerily I can’t believe screenwriter David Sherwin wasn’t aware of it.
If.... by Lindsay Anderson and
David Sherwin (1968)

While the violence at the film’s end doesn’t occur in Fuller’s story, it is telling that the film’s hero, Mick Travis, unleashes it, not on the entitled boys who gave him a ferocious beating, but on the smug, hypocritical headmaster, housemaster and school chaplain, the school governors and their elegantly dressed wives - all those responsible for a lazy, corrupt system that allows so much power in the hands of the vicious. Exactly the theme of The Ruined Boys

Boarding schools are nothing like that nowadays. Frankly, they were nothing like that in the 1960s. Neither Fuller nor Anderson was interested in a realistic depiction; for them the boarding model made a brilliant structure for the political points they wanted to make. 

Which just shows the strength and versatility of the genre. And while I admire what Fuller, Sherwin and Anderson achieved, I much prefer the magic and fun you can have with a boarding school setting when children are your audience, not adults.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
by J K Rowling (1997)
Where would Harry Potter be without Hogwarts? Or Mildred Hubble, without Miss Cackle's Academy for Witches? Or, Eleanor Cooke, for that matter, heroine of my book, The Fall of a Sparrow, without spooky Ashstone House? 

The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (1974)


That’s what I’ll tell the friend who gave me The Ruined Boys.

Comments

Ruth Leigh said…
Fascinating! I've never come across The Ruined Boys, but the title makes me shiver. I loved Malory Towers and the Twins at St Clare's when I was young, but it was an idealised picture of boarding school. I recently read a book called Home at Last by Mark Stibbe, in which he talks about a phenomenon he calls "the boarded heart". Sending children away from their families, often to a strange and terrifying place, horrifies me. That said, in Harry Potter's case, having a neglectful and abusive family, Hogwarts is a good and nurturing environment for him. Such an interesting blog.
Joy Margetts said…
Great blog, thank you. If just for the reminder of Malory Towers which was my place of escape as a child. So to was St Clare's and The Chalet School. I longed to be a pupil in one of those schools as they seemed such fun places. And I wasn't even in an unhappy home as a child! As you say, those depictions of boarding school life were not real. Isn't it strange though how boarding schools are either depicted as unrealistically fun - filled, happy places or places of abuse and fear. I wonder if there are any books out there that give a realistic portrayal of boarding school life as it really was/is? But then I haven't read yours yet... :)
I remember one of my sons freaking out when he heard that there were such things as boarding schools! I had to spend ages reassuring him that there was no way he'd be sent to one. Not that we could have afforded it anyway!
Peter Leyland said…
Your post resonated a lot with me Griselda: first Stalky and Co was made into a brilliant series sometime in the 80s; second I didn't know Roy Fuller had written a boarding school book but have his novel, Image of a Society (1956), which really enjoyed; third, the film If channelled lots of the anger us grammar school boys felt about the pseudo boarding school ethos imposed upon us in the 60s. Violence was endemic at my school between teachers and pupils, and of course between the boys themselves. One day I must write the novel...
Debbie Bennett said…
I was desperate for my parents to send me to boarding school as a child. I think I expected the full St Clares experience! It's probably a good thing they never did - although my private-day-school wasn't all it was cracked up to be either.
I used to love Enid Blyton's school books, as we didn't really have boarding schools in the Netherlands. Looking at my kids, I can't imagine them going... Love the blog, very interesting!
Griselda Heppel said…
Thank you all for these fascinating comments. 'The boarded heart' - wow, what a phrase. It encapsulates the lifelong emotional damage that the traditional boarding school system must have done to countless children 100 years ago, sent away far too young, aged 5 even, like Kipling. Boarding is a very different matter these days. At least, I hope it is.

Peter, you should write that book! The pseudo boarding school ethos taken on by grammar schools is an angle rarely looked at - except possibly in Alan Bennett's play, The History Boys? Well-intentioned perhaps but weird. Not surprised it made you and your friends angry.

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath