Animals in Fiction by Allison Symes

Image Credit:  Images created in Book Brush using Pixabay photos.

 I have a soft spot for animals in fiction. I was a huge fan of Timmy in Enid Blyton’s Famous Five. I always thought he was the most intelligent of the lot but then I’m a dog owner so am probably biased.

The childhood book that meant to a lot to me was Anna Sewell’s Black Beauty. I found out much later it was written to encourage sympathy and kindness towards horses (though I hope it did also encourage people to develop those traits for other creatures too).

I was moved to tears by the sacrifice scene of Aslan in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. The film adaptation was pretty good too.

I have occasionally written from an animal’s viewpoint in my flash fiction. One story was told from the viewpoint of a mother dragon and was fun to write. But I generally focus on writing human/humanoid characters, despite my having loved animals portrayed in fiction for so long.

Animals can, of course, be symbolic as Aslan is, but I suppose one reason I don’t write animal characters often is with a human/humanoid character, I can get them to think/do what I’d like them to think/do. I know what humans are capable of, what we can think and so on. I can extend that out for humanoid creations.

With animals, it has to be something that would come from natural behaviour patterns (which is true even for fantasy creatures. My mother dragon character acted as any mother would do to defend her young, which is why the story works).

 I have to know my character’s major trait before I write their story up as so many things can come from that to trigger further ideas. Courage, for example, can lead to recklessness. Also courage can fail someone so there are two immediate possibilities from the one trait. But for animals? I must ask myself what would reasonably tie in with what we know about how our natural world works.

Yet an animal, sympathetically portrayed, can add so much to a story. The Famous Four doesn’t have quite the same ring, does it? And then there’s Sherlock Holmes. One of the classic stories is The Hound of the Baskervilles (and not forgetting the curious incident of the dog in the night-time).

Animals can add atmosphere to a story simply by the way they’re referred to - The Spaniel of the Baskervilles lacks “oomph” whereas “hound” adds to the terror element. A hound could be almost anything that hunts (and definitely not a spaniel . I picture fluffy cocker spaniels, not something potentially terrifying!).

 Are there any animal stories you would recommend? I watched Born Free years ago and must confess to not having read or seen War Horse, though I like the sound of it. Have you written stories with animals in them? What was their purpose in your stories?

Comments

Wendy H. Jones said…
I’ve got animals in all my books. They serves as both a way of showing my human characters in a different light and also as comic relief. Great blog.
Peter Leyland said…
Thanks for an interesting review of animals in fiction Alison. My wife's favourite book is Black Beauty and she arranged for us to see Warhorse on an important birthday fo me. It's well worth seeng. I think my favourite animal character in literature is Boxer in Orwell's Animal Farm for his indefatigable and hard working nature and I remember being heartbroken when he died. Didn't like the pigs much though!
Allison Symes said…
Many thanks, Wendy and Peter. Animals in fiction do reflect on us - and not always in a flattering way.
Joy Margetts said…
Warhorse is amazing. DO get to read it or see it. I love animals in stories too. A horse found it's way into my book and became a character in his own right. He added humour and helped me enhance the character of my main protagonists. He also developed his own fan base!
Ruth Leigh said…
I'm not really an animal person, but I remember our teacher playing us Black Beauty on a record in Class 6 (this was around 191975) and being very worried about the fire in the stable. I'm writing an animal in Isabella 3, but she's not going to be very sure about it. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out
Allison Symes said…
Many thanks, Joy and Ruth. Who doesn't like horses in fiction? Mind you, as with any character, the animal character has to have a good reason for he/she to be in there. And yes they can add a lot of depth.
Umberto Tosi said…
Animal characters made an avid reader out of me as a boy, starting with the beloved Black Beauty, and the Lassie books. I read and re-read Jack London's "White Fang" - a Yukon adventure told from a wild wolf-dog'a POV. "Renfroo the Wonder Dog" - a erstwhile film adventure pooch -- shows up in my second Frank Ritz Mystery from out of the brush clutching a severed human foot in his jaws -- and stays on as a continuing character through the next installment despite Frank's initial resistance to being a pet owner. Thanks for your fun post!
Allison Symes said…
Many thanks, Umberto. I never read the Lassie books but did like watching the TV programmes years ago.
Black Beauty was an early favourite of mine. When I was about 10, I wrote (and illustrated) a similar horse viewpoint story told by a palomino circus pony called Flax.

I eventually wrote a rather epic novel from the viewpoint of Alexander the Great's horse Bucephalas "I am the Great Horse" - a mix of War Horse and Black Beauty. This got published originally on a children's list with Chicken House/Scholastic, but has since proved popular with all age groups, esp. those who love horses.

I like the sound of your dragon story - where can we read it?
Allison Symes said…
Many thanks, Katherine, and congratulations on "I am the Great Horse".

As for my dragon story it is on the book trailer for my second flash fiction collection, Tripping the Flash Fantastic. Link here to my YouTube channel will take you straight to the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPCiePD4p_vWp4bz2d80SJA

And many thanks for asking!

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

This one wild and precious life... reviewed by Katherine Roberts