Read the Manual ~ Maressa Mortimer



“You’ll love it, it’s great.” Ever heard those words before? It’s usually fatal, as it tends to come from a friend trying to persuade you. Of course, you’ll give in anyway, even if it’s something rather more complex than they tell you. Like TikTok.

I know it’s the second TikTok blog this month, and I can confirm with Ruth Leigh that yes, there are all kinds of famous people on TikTok lining up to be your special friends. I have George Bush following me. And I’ve only been on TikTok for two days.

I decided to give in and join TikTok. After I listened to a podcast, watched several youtube videos of how to upload videos and explored TikTok slowly, reading the manual as I went along. I didn’t.

Are you the type to read the instructions, check the manual before opening the box, or are you more into trying things out, and seeing the manual as a last resort? I used to amaze my PA by setting off from home to visit somebody, without having the address, just a vague idea of where it was. It was fine, we got there. I spotted my friend’s car on the drive, so I knew exactly which house she lived in unless she had a deal with the neighbours.

It’s probably what made me accidentally publish a book. Perhaps, if I had checked the facts and information beforehand, I would have realised there was no pre-order option for paperback. Maybe.

Maybe it's great to be organised?


Anyway, I joined TikTok, tried making a few clips, had lots of fun with different filters, I still have no idea how to make my books be back to normal English instead of mirror-imaged and I found out this morning that to have my website link in my bio, I need 1,000 friends. I have 25 already, so we should be there in a few months.

I’m enjoying the short clips done by other authors. Who knew there would be so many of us? I thought it was a thing just for teens, but maybe it’s helping us all to stay young. I can see the different options, filters and effects you can add. Then there is music or you can do your own music. You can do silent pictures, using text and music. Or you can film yourself talking about your favourite book.

I will listen to the TikTok podcast Wendy H Jones did, even though I can’t find an edit-after-the-deed-is-done button. As I posted the last clip, I suddenly wondered if I should have looked at some more instruction videos, rather than Google for answers halfway through recording my favourite coffee mug. It reminded me of other times when I had set out without looking at the instructions, and I wondered if I was the only one.

Or maybe I have just saved myself a lot of time by jumping straight in?



Maressa Mortimer is Dutch but lives in the beautiful Cotswolds, England with her husband and four (adopted) children. Maressa is a homeschool mum as well as a pastor’s wife, so her writing has to be done in the evening when peace and quiet descend on the house once more. She loves writing Christian fiction, as it’s a great way to explore faith in daily life. Because of her interest in writing, Maressa is part of Creativity Matters: Find Your Passion For Writing, an anthology encouraging people to write.

Her debut novel, Sapphire Beach, was published in December 2019, and her first self published novel, Walled City, came out in December 2020, followed by Viking Ferry, a novella. Beyond the Hills is the second book in the Elabi Chronicles, and was released on June 18th 2021. All of Maressa’s books are available from her website, www.vicarioushome.com, Amazon or local bookshops.

Comments

Wendy H. Jones said…
Welcome to TikTok. You’ll love it, it’s great 😂
Joy Margetts said…
Oh dear. Yet another person telling me to just get on with it. I have signed into Tiktok but haven't done anything yet. I'm not looking forward to the video bit, not one bit. I admire you Maressa for just jumping in and doing it. I fear I plan and think too much. At least, now I know there are Youtube 'how to' videos out there! I can bring myself to watch those at least!
Ruth Leigh said…
Welcome to TikTok. You'll love it, it's great - oh hang on! But seriously, I leapt in knowing nowt and have managed to produce a few vids of me burbling on which some people seem to like, as well as hoovering up SO MUCH content for my own writing. It feels to me a bit like living in a huge mansion where you have your own little wing from which you can venture when you feel like it. In all the other rooms, people sit, talking and some of them you like, some you don't. So you only knock on the doors of the people who have something in common with you, or who make you laugh, and they will always let you in. That's how it looks to me. I went from zero to hero in a week or two, but that included having millions of manbots. I learned so quickly and it's like anything else. You muddle along, you ask for help, you have a larf, you sell some books. Honest guv
Ruth Leigh said…
You don't have to be in it, Joy. You can just film your book and you reading it, or views of things with voiceovers. You're way ahead of me with your medieval theme. Wimples. Ruined castles. Mead. There's three straight off!
Thank you, Ruth, yes, that's a great way to look at it! Joy, it's great fun, I made a few clips just using pictures...
Ruth Leigh said…
She did one of her drinking coffee, Joy. Stick your wimple on and brew up some mead and you're away!

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Never Mind the Author Workshops, What Shall I Wear on World Book Day 2024? wonders Griselda Heppel

How to Live with the End in Mind: Wendy Mitchell’s Choice -- by Julia Jones

Brain on a Train -- Umberto Tosi

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris