Back to school? -- Joy Kluver

Photo by Deleece Cook on Unsplash


 It's all go in my house and I'm late writing this post. I normally like to have this blog post ready about a week before and think carefully about the topic.

Not this time.

My youngest went back to school today and middle child is leaving for Uni this coming weekend. Husband has been ill for over a week now following dental surgery and eldest, having been away all summer, is coming home for a few weeks before heading back to Uni. Somehow, in amongst all of this, I need to finish the first draft of my current WIP.

In the past, September has meant the start of my year and quite often, the start of writing a new book. A few years ago, I saw Lee Child and John Grisham talk about their writing processes.

Grisham would start writing a new book in January after devising a detailed plan. Child would start in September with a single sentence. Two very contrasting ways of writing.

As you know, if you've read my earlier posts, I'm writing something different from my normal police procedurals and had to come up with a detailed synopsis first. As a pantser, it's fair to say that I've deviated away from that plan. But I'm in this weird situation where I'm coming to the end of something in September, rather than the beginning.

For so long, my life has worked round the school year as a child, student, teacher and then mother. I've switched from Lee Child to John Grisham, and it's all a bit confusing. I'm going against the natural rhythm that I've had for pretty much all of my life. I feel out of sync.

What about everyone else? Do you have a set pattern for your writing or do you just go with the flow?

Comments

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Margery Allingham and ... knitting? Casting on a summer’s mystery -- by Julia Jones

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris

Irresistably Drawn to the Faustian Pact: Griselda Heppel Channels her Inner Witch for World Book Day 2024.

What's Your Angle--by Reb MacRath