10 Top Tips on Blogging for Writers by Wendy H. Jones
Firstly I would like to start my blog today by saying thank you to all the fantastic bloggers of Do Authors Dream of Electric Books who have invited me to be one of their regular contributors. I am honoured to be a part of the blog. As this is my first post I spent a great deal of time looking through posts and thinking about what I could bring that was new and fresh to you, the readers.
I have been thinking about blogging for writers a lot lately as I presented on this very topic at a recent writers conference. This made me think of what would be my top 10 Tips for writers who want to blog. So without further ado here they are:
1. Any blog with a number in the title usually get the most views. This is proven fact as people like to know what they will be learning or getting from reading the blog.
2. Maintain focus but write on diverse topics within this
For example a writers blog could contain - author interviews, tips on writing, technology for writing, technology for readers, book reviews, short stories, and book launches among many others. If you have any more ideas then please share them in the comments
3. Disseminate your blog. This is not the time to hide your light under a bushel. People won't read it if they don't know it's there.
4. Use pictures in your blogs. Those blogs which contain pictures are more likely to be read and shared. Many people are now sharing on Pinterest and this cannot be done without a picture.
5. In order for your blog to gain followers you must:
Write often - this does not mean every day unless you want to. However, if you decide to write once a week then keep to the schedule. Readers will lose interest if there are gaps
6. You can use your blog for marketing your own products. However, be careful not to spam. Treat it like you would any social exchange. Social media, of which a blog is a part, should be 80% social 20% product information. It is perfectly acceptable to put permanent links to your books on the side of the blog
7. Link to your blog on your website and your about.me page
8. Add share buttons for Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+ etc. to your blog
9. Remember your blog is a showcase for you as a writer. People who read your blog are more likely to buy your books
10. Have fun. This is the most important point. A blog should not be a chore but enjoyable. This will come across in your posts and people are more likely to respond.
Now for the bonus tip:
11. Add a call to action such as a question which can be answered in the comments. The more interaction there is on the blog the more fun it will be for readers. It will also be more discoverable in online searches.
I am sure that many of you will have more tips. So what are they? Share in the comments and help other writers just like you.
I will be posting regularly on the blog on the 16th of every month. I am looking forward to meeting with you all again in December.