Authors Electric How To Day – DropBox – How to load books and documents on your Kindle fire using DropBox – Chris Longmuir
|DropBox for Android Devices|
Normally to sideload a book or document to your Kindle Fire it would be done by connecting the Fire to your computer and copying the appropriate file into your Kindle Fire. I am going to show you an easier way to do it using DropBox.
|It's easy to install DropBox|
First you have to install DropBox onto your Kindle Fire, and this is quite easy to do.
1. From the Kindle Fire’s main screen place your finger at the top of the screen and swipe downwards. This will reveal your settings.
2. Tap “More” and from the list of settings tap “Device”.
3. Where it says “Allow Installation of Applications” toggle it to “On” – the default is “Off”. When it is “On” it allows you to download Apps other than Amazon ones.
4. After you have done this go back to the “Home” page and click on “Web”. This will open your browser.
5. In the search box type http://www.dropbox.com/android. This will open the download page for “Dropbox for Android”.
6. Once it’s downloaded you will see a box with “Dropbox for Android” at the top left of the page. Beside it is the menu box, the one with 4 lines in it.
7. Click on the menu box and in the list of actions on the left, choose “Downloads”.
8. A window will open with your Dropbox App (Dropbox.apk). Click on that and in the next window click on “Install”.
9. When the installation is complete it will give you the option to “Open”, and you can then log in.
10. After you come out of DropBox you will find it among your Apps.
Hopefully you will have succeeded in this. If DropBox is not among your Apps, this may mean you downloaded it but did not install. At my first effort this was what I did, so each time I went to DropBox it was on the web. However, if you follow my instructions you should have successfully installed DropBox onto the Kindle Fire’s hard drive.
|Add files to your mobile devices using DropBox|
Using DropBox to sideload books and documents.
1. On your computer copy the file to DropBox. You can close your computer after this if you want.
2. Open DropBox on your Kindle Fire.
3. Navigate to the file you want eg book or document.
4. The names of your files will be listed on the left, and on the right you will see a downward pointing arrow.
5. Click on the arrow and you will get a drop down menu with various options on it. Click on “Export”.
6. In the window that opens choose “Save to SD card” this will take you to the internal storage space.
7. Choose “Books” for .mobi files, or “Documents” for .doc. .pdf, or .txt, and other files.
8. Tap “Export”.
Once you’ve done all this your book or document should appear in the appropriate place. However, I often find that books land up in the “Documents” folder. So, if you can’t find your book under “Books” try “Documents”. If you still can’t find your document, switch your Kindle Fire off and then on again.
I hope that this information is helpful for you, and here are some websites you might want to look at.